Author Topic: A couple hide questions  (Read 2496 times)

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
A couple hide questions
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:58:10 am »
Morning, everybody.  I am still waiting to get my deer hide back from the tanners (which, by the way, is taking a very long time...but my impatience is another topic), and in the meantime I've been giving a lot of thought to quiver design.  My question is about this badger hide that a friend gave me, and which I plan to use as trim.

The skin itself has been tanned, but it is quite brittle and tears easily in the fingers.  I'm a little worried about the trim tearing loose the first time I have to push through a patch of brush.  Is there anything I can treat it with that will make it a bit more resilient?  Are there any particular stitching methods that will make it less likely to tear loose at the seams?

Any ideas are appreciated, as always!  Thanks! T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Online Outbackbob48

Re: A couple hide questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 08:03:30 am »
Good leather should not tear easily, I would try backing it with something more durable ,maybe heavy cloth or light canvas , I would glue the tearing hide to it. Bob

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 08:47:33 am »
how was it tanned?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:16:11 am »
No idea how it was tanned.  It isn't stiff and hard like rawhide, but it isn't soft like buckskin or leather.  I think it's a fairly old hide; the trapper said he'd had it in a box for a long time.  So maybe it's just dried out?

Bob, what kind of glue would you use for attaching the hide to a backing?  I was thinking about just gluing it to the deer leather before I stitch it.  Whatever I use needs to remain flexible and stretchable over time.  Shoe goo?  Barge cement?  Gorilla glue?  What do you recommend?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:51:01 am »
I agree with Bob. I'd glue thin leather to it and use contact cement(Barge) for it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:50 pm »
OK, I will give that a shot.  Thanks, gents!
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:04:39 am »
I'd try rubbing some neastfoot oil on it in a small spot that you will be not using to see if it will get a more pliable.. however that might eliminate the possible usage on contact cement in bonding and would require sewing... just a thought... gut