Author Topic: Paper backing?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Mafort

Paper backing?
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:31:04 pm »
I know you can back a bow with brown paper but I wonder what’s the actual strength of it? Is it just for light protection or can it hold up to a bit more abuse?

bownarra

Re: Paper backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:05:44 am »
If a bow needs backing it needs backing with something tougher than paper :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 06:43:47 am »
Brown grocery bag paper makes a good backing for insurance purposes. The matrix of the paper and glue is stronger than each individually. Just think what paper is made of, wood fibers.It won't add strength but it will help hold down splinters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 06:55:33 am »
Brown grocery bag paper makes a good backing for insurance purposes. The matrix of the paper and glue is stronger than each individually. Just think what paper is made of, wood fibers.It won't add strength but it will help hold down splinters.

So what about a heavier stock of paper? We’ve got some old fancy heavy stock paper in the garage. Probably enough for a single later for a single bow. Think that would be worth the experiment?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 07:08:32 am »
Very light protection... 'placebo protection'.  :)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline txdm

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 08:07:23 am »
I did one with 4 layers of heavy brown paper, using titebond III glue, and put it under pressure to dry. Its makes a very hard protective backing that looks good.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 08:53:45 am »
IMO, more isn't necessarily better. Paper backing will never add performance and more paper and glue will detract from performance. Paper backing is for insurance purposes only. Not as good as rawhide but better than nothing for a questionable bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 08:56:21 am »
In the past paper backing of a sort was well documented as a performance enhancer.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:03:49 am »
I never knew that,,.I thought I knew everything (lol)

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 10:48:47 am »
My calendar is full but that's a test just about anyone can do. If you used hide glue it would wash right off when the experiment was over.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 10:57:42 am »
I'm talking about a simple, inexpensive bow backing that is available to everyone out there. I got into "primitive archery" to learn how to build a wood bow that would do what I wanted it to do, to hit my intended target. If I wanted high performance I would have stuck with compound bows or high tech traditional bows. I wanted to get away from that but still be effective in my goal. A simple selfbow does just that for me.
 I'm fortunate enough to have other backing materials to use but not everyone does. The new guy just starting that hasn't yet invested in the tools and materials to make the best bow he can can always find a brown grocery bag and a bottle of wood glue that could be life or death for the first(or subsequent) bows he builds. It is a viable option with many years of proof to back it up. It might not be the best option, it might not give him the best preforming bow but it can give him a bow that will hit the target he's aiming for and survive to shoot another arrow. So for that reason it is a viable choice for a simple bow backing and not just a placebo. A placebo is something that doesn't really work but makes the user think it works. Paper backings do work as a simple, inexpensive backing material. 

Offline Mafort

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 02:07:39 pm »
I did one with 4 layers of heavy brown paper, using titebond III glue, and put it under pressure to dry. Its makes a very hard protective backing that looks good.

When you say pressure you mean like putting boards with weights on top to dry it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 03:21:45 pm »
I think doing 4 layers would be anti-productive, adding excess weight without much benefit.

Offline txdm

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 06:44:27 pm »
When you say pressure you mean like putting boards with weights on top to dry it?

This was an old bow that had taken set and was close to being retired and I wanted to experiment on it.

1.) First I covered the belly and handle with painters tape.

2.) Then I covered the back with a coat of glue.

3.) Next I put the paper layers on.They were strips cut from a feed bag liner. I had soaked the paper in some water before hand, and squeegeed the excess off as I went.

4.) Between each layer I applied another coating of glue.

5.) Then I laid a coat of plastic wrap over the final paper/glue layer, and added a long 3/8" thick strip of wood over that.

6.) With the tips held up on blocks, I clamped the handle down towards the table to make reflex. Then I applied a whole bunch of clamps so the strip of wood sandwiched and pressed the paper backing down tight against the bow.

7.) I let it dry for a few days, then filed off all the excess paper and coated it with some BLO.

Looking back, probably 2 layers would have been plenty, but I wanted to see what it would do. It initially added about 3 lbs to the draw weight, but it was not noticeable in the arrow speed. The string follow came back after about 100 shots.

The glue-saturated paper coating is a really rugged. I can't attest to how it prevents splinters because I wasnt putting it on a bow that had any splintering issues. It has a nice coffee-like finish, like brown masonite board.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:14:03 pm by txdm »

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 06:50:28 pm »
 I often thought brown paper saturated in waterproof glue would be a nice sinew back covering.   Maybe for the next one.