Author Topic: Has anyone read about this method??  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Nasr

Has anyone read about this method??
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:05:04 am »
https:   //getpocket.com/explore/item/stronger-than-steel-able-to-stop-a-speeding-bullet-it-s-super-wood?utm_source=pocket-newtab

idk if its okay to post a link but i thought i would share this.

Offline PatM

Re: Has anyone read about this method??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 09:17:40 am »
This topic has come up here before.   It's definitely going to disqualify the primitive aspect but  it would be interesting to try a piece as belly material.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 09:20:33 am »
It was a cool read, but I don't think it's ever going to be practical for the home bowyer. NaHO and Na2SO3 aren't anything you want to mess with without proper PPE in their liquid form and this process calls for boiling them which would aerosolize them; which opens another can of worms safety wise. Not to mention the pressure required is likely more than the home bowyer is able to generate.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
The process does seem rather similar to the method of making fishpaper which is sort of like paper rawhide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanized_fibre

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:07:34 am »
It was a cool read, but I don't think it's ever going to be practical for the home bowyer. NaHO and Na2SO3 aren't anything you want to mess with without proper PPE in their liquid form and this process calls for boiling them which would aerosolize them; which opens another can of worms safety wise. Not to mention the pressure required is likely more than the home bowyer is able to generate.

Vacuum.