Author Topic: Gun shy  (Read 6963 times)

Offline DC

Gun shy
« on: December 13, 2019, 11:35:20 am »
I've had a few failures in a row and I'm a bit gun shy. Can you look at this and tell me where you would scrape next. Still on the long string. I would take even scrapes from the whole limb but I'm just not sure if I should be focusing on one portion of the limb. 

gutpile

Re: Gun shy
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:16:55 pm »
pretty profile, is it a lam bow?... assume left is top limb...appears longer.... I would scrap middle of both limbs to get them bending more... looks like bending out of fades already.. I like to leave my tips a tad stiff... I havent done a lam bow... so don't take my advice as gold... gut

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:33:35 pm »
It's Boo backed Yew. Top limb hasn't been decided yet but I put the tentative top on the right. Even length limbs, probably the light, it's poor on the tree. I should fix that :D When you say it looks like it's bending out of the fades are you considering that it's deflexed in the handle?
PS I looked again and I can see the bending in the fades.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:57:09 pm »
A s u get a little further,,,it will come to u,.. :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »
A s u get a little further,,,it will come to u,.. :)

Especially if it blows up.

I'm not real experienced in that profile DC. To me I think I'd work on the inner third now. I don't think your moving much out of the fades. Take it with a grain of salt though. It seems to me your mid and outers are working nicely. Where have you been having trouble lately?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 02:15:03 pm »
This bow doesn't have quite as much reflex as the last few. The last ones would develop hingey spots mid limb. When I examined them they were actually thinner there. I was scraping to much mid limb. Don't know why I never noticed. Everything seemed to be bending nicely and then, boom, a hinge. I'm wondering if I was scraping more in the middle because that was the highest spot. Anyway I'm trying to keep my eye on that. On another thread BJ and others mentioned starting with the outers first. I got going on this one and had a few doubts about where to go next. Thought I would ask.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 02:24:24 pm »
The reflex tricking ur eye

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 02:28:50 pm »
Here's a pic to show how much it's bending

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 02:44:38 pm »
Like I said DC. I'm certainly not a expert on this profile. I don't have it to feel it's limbs or watch them bend either.  I think your pretty good but To my eye and what it's telling my brain from your pictures. It seems to me the mid is working nicely. I can't see much movement or bend out of fades or inner. Maybe slightly stiff in the very outer yet. I really hesitate to say anything though. I know you've done way more of these than I have and done really well at them. Maybe you want to close your eyes and run each limb bettween you fingers and see what they tell you.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 02:47:09 pm »
The lumps on the Bamboo mess up my finger calipers :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 03:11:27 pm »
The lumps on the Bamboo mess up my finger calipers :D

I never thought of that. I certainly don't want to lead you astray. Interesting delima.
You'll figure it out.
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 03:28:21 pm »
that looks good,, better to have it too stiff in the problem area,, so you dont get a hinge,, and fine tune it thinner as you go,,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 03:54:40 pm »
Looking at the last two pictures together like that it does look pretty good. It's bending a bit right out of the fades. I'd think you could probably continue with even scraps from whole limb for a bit. Get it that good to a low brace and study it some more. I know you certainly don't want to develop a hinge out of the fades. I got total confidence in you DC. You'll get a screamer out of her.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 04:18:39 pm »
Low brace @ 20" lower(left) is a bit stiff. Second pic is reverse overlay.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 09:26:04 pm »
I think sometimes it takes longer for the wood to stabilize,,in those reflexed areas,, we scrape to make it even,, then it moves more than we think,, I think take off less than you think and work the bow a bit more than you think to see what it gonna do,,
maybe leaving it strung longer than you think,, I know I have to do that with the sinew bow sometimes,, to see what its gonna do,,