Author Topic: Gun shy  (Read 6979 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Gun shy
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2019, 07:30:03 am »
It occurred to me that there was only about 1-2 hours between heat treating and reflexing/breaking. Might be able to write this one off to stupidity. I just got caught up in the moment and forgot.

That was one of my first thoughts DC. Might not have mattered who knows. Might have been better to heat treat on a caul and put your Reflex in at the same time? I do appreciate when guys post their problems to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2019, 09:15:54 am »
If I'd pre reflexed it I wouldn't have any Perry Reflex. I actually deflexed it a bunch. At rest, before glue up, it looked like it was almost full draw. I was pushing the envelope.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2019, 09:53:38 am »
Pre heated reflex,..could have Perry reflex,..if you reflex it more at glue up...I was assuming that is what Marc meant

Offline DC

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2019, 10:18:39 am »
Even though I can't figure out how PR works I'm assuming it does work. If it does work and a little is good, then a lot is better, right? ;D ;D ;D ;D I'm also making the assumption that more deflex before gluing will be the same as a thicker limb. That I'm not really sure of. :-\ :-\

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2019, 10:21:46 am »
I dont think you want to heat the core to shape before. a Perry reflex is supposed to be all glued up stress. Including the core.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 10:58:35 am »
I dont think you want to heat the core to shape before. a Perry reflex is supposed to be all glued up stress. Including the core.
Not sure if you're answering my post but I was deflexing the core to add even more stress to the glue up.

Offline PatM

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2019, 01:36:07 pm »
You want to heat it into reflex and add a bit in the glue-up.  You're putting an effectively shorter backing strip on  either way but heat treating the core into reflex is better than just bending it backwards.

Offline DC

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2019, 02:47:37 pm »
You want to heat it into reflex and add a bit in the glue-up.  You're putting an effectively shorter backing strip on  either way but heat treating the core into reflex is better than just bending it backwards.

Do you not think Perry Reflex works or do we just have different opinions on how it works?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2019, 04:18:39 pm »
I think it works, ,and there seems to be a difference in opinion on how it works,,
Marc stated that he got better results reflexing the stave before putting the backing on,, either way, would work,, but some seem to think reflexing the stave , then putting perry reflex into that would give a better result,,
I made some 25 years ago,, I just had a straight core,, and then bent it into reflex when I glued the back,, with good results,,
if I was gonna do one now,, I would heat the core into reflex,, then put more reflex into it when I glued it up,,
then the chronograph would let me know if that was a good idea or not,, )P(

Offline PatM

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2019, 05:05:22 pm »

Do you not think Perry Reflex works or do we just have different opinions on how it works?

It works but likely not the way you think.   Heat treating the belly into reflex as well just adds to it.  Deflexing first and then bending the other way to glue up makes no sense.