Author Topic: Whitetail quiver  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Whitetail quiver
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:44:33 pm »
I took a doe with my 45-70 back in November and decided to try and tan the hide and make myself a quiver.  I fleshed the hide and left the hair in.  One pound of aluminum sulphate, 4 pounds rock salt and 5 gallons of water.  Let the hide soak for 8 days stirring the hide twice a day.  It took a full week for the hide to dry out. Each day I would stretch the drying hide by hand. 

I think it came out pretty good for my first try.  I used b50 bowstring to sew it up.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Whitetail quiver
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:49:56 pm »
Looks nice

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 10:42:04 pm »
Good work!  Does whitetail hair shed like muley hair does?  Also, out of curiosity, do you hang your quiver with the feathers pointed forward or back?

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 07:33:44 am »
I知 not sure about the shedding?  This is my first time messing with a hide.  I usually threw the hides away with the guts and bones.  I知 not sure what you are asking about the feathers?  I just stuck the arrows in the quiver.  If there is a proper way to hang a quiver of arrows then please inform me.  I知 still new to this and have to glean all my knowledge from this site.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 10:52:11 am »
Nice quiver and nice that you used the skin from an animal tou took yourself. Well done.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:56:12 am »
Nice job!  Plus 2 on Pat's comment!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »
I知 not sure about the shedding?  This is my first time messing with a hide.  I usually threw the hides away with the guts and bones.  I知 not sure what you are asking about the feathers?  I just stuck the arrows in the quiver.  If there is a proper way to hang a quiver of arrows then please inform me.  I知 still new to this and have to glean all my knowledge from this site.

Oh, no big deal.  I've just noticed that some people carry side quivers with the feathers pointed forward, and some backward.  Just was curious which way you carried.  I don't think there's really a right or wrong way--do what works for you.

Don't worry about the shedding either.  I've never worked with whitetail hide before, so again I was just curious.  This is a great looking quiver, and it's great that you harvested and worked the skin yourself!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 02:03:12 pm »
Nice work, looks great.  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 04:36:21 pm »
White tail with hair on will ,I ant sure you call it shed but you have to remember it's not fur it's hollow hair and will break when used a lot. Still looks really nice and that one being hair on the outside where it don't rub much should be just fine.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M2A

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 08:36:44 am »
Quiver looks great! Always like to see what folks can do with the resources they got.
Mike