Author Topic: Hair on tanning problem  (Read 2004 times)

Offline apg

Hair on tanning problem
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:59:08 pm »
Hi everyone,

I shot a big old 180 lb doe last week that had a stunning coat. I wanted to do my first hair on hide.

So I fleshed it, salted it a lot, and cleaned the skin. Then I used the a salt water amonia alum solution for four days and transferred it to a board, hair out to dry. I noticed at that point the hide was losing huge clumps of fur.

I added the deer hunters and trappers formula and started working the hide and more fur fell out. So I tried to let the hide dry completely and start again with the formula but it didn’t work. So I removed all the fur and went with a hair off hide.

Any idea what on earth I did wrong? I’m pretty upset, this would have made a perfect vest.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hair on tanning problem
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 06:32:13 am »
First off deer hair on don't make good clothing, the hair will break and shed unlike fur it's hollow hair, beautiful on a table/wall or for displays but won't take much rubbing such as clothing or quivers. I am not sure on why the hair slipped but if it was slipping you came real close to spoiling the hide, I only do brain tan so someone else may chime in on the solution you used.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 11:40:34 am »
my thought is you left in water solution too long... I don't think you need to soak at all if you brain the flesh side and stretch and soften in a frame... Im going to do a hair on rug... my plan is flesh put in frame loose.... work it with a stake till dry.. then pull frame tight and let set for 24 hours.. should lay flat then and be soft on flesh side... gut

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 01:22:42 pm »
meant to add brain it while in frame loose...when I brain this one it will be with a brush too... so I won't wring it out... I did one a long time ago.. soak it in alum a few days... then neatsfoot oiled flesh side... it is soft but sheds like a golden retriever... haha... but it is about 8 years old and hasn't lost any clumps and still is full hair on hide...