Author Topic: Tiller Check 64" Saskatoon (Serviceberry)  (Read 3885 times)

Offline HighEagle

Tiller Check 64" Saskatoon (Serviceberry)
« on: December 28, 2019, 05:36:52 pm »
Its has been awhile, Need a little help with upper limb, right side in photo

Thanks Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Tiller Check 64" Saskatoon (Serviceberry)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 05:49:15 pm »
  Right side deflex coming into play here in the picture...You could remove now or continue on...Looks good from here so far...I personally would steam or dry heat that area into reflex but not necessary...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:04:44 pm »
If it were mine, I too would straighten out the deflex. It looks better and makes tillering one much easier.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:08:35 pm »
I don't know how well serviceberry corrects with heat. If you could get rid of the deflex and get the same profile on both limbs it would make tillering easier but some woods don't respond well and pull out anyway. With the profile you have. I think your on the right track. It's tricky doing those though. Especially when you don't have them right in front of you. Sometimes on those I just close my eyes and use my fingers like calipers and run them up and down the limbs. When I feel a thicker spot I stop and open my eyes. I mark it and then put it on the tree and see if my eyes agree with my fingers.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 09:53:01 pm »
even with the deflex, all your bend right now is right out of the fades.  work the final third, and then the center third before you touch the center any more.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 10:07:49 am »
even with the deflex, all your bend right now is right out of the fades.  work the final third, and then the center third before you touch the center any more.

I agree with the outer third next Jeff and then the mid. I think he's got everything bending a little right now though. But I agree where your going next.
Bjrogg

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:13:02 am »
No question about that.  Lay off the inners entirely or you will end up with a 30 lb bow...if tillered well.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 11:00:18 am »
Thank you all for the help,

I will use dry heat today and correct profile to match upper limb to the lower. Question about working the outer third not to many inches between center,center third,and final third. Will post new pic of new profile later today. Thanks again Chuck

Go Seahawks
Armstrong, BC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 06:50:48 am »
High Eagle when you heat it be careful to keep heat from getting back of bow. Heat is good on some woods for compression, but terrible for tension. Also let it sit for a couple days after heating to reaclimatize. If you try bending it to soon there's a good chance of breaking it.

Are you going to put it on a caul (form) to straighten or just try to remove the deflex? Having both limbs the same really helps the eyes for tillering. It's not always necessary or maybe even recommended though. I like to with Osage. It seems to cooperate and hold its shape good. HHB I give it a try. Some of it seems to hold and some of it just goes back to its original shape. I have zero experience with Serviceberry. I kinda think DC does. That Reflex will also mess with your eyes. I kinda like it though. Maybe could use some in other limb to if all goes well.
Bjrogg

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:00:21 am »
once you have the limbs flattened, then you can use a tillering gizmo. This will tell you exactly where you need to remove wood.  Trust it more than your eyes--except where the gizmo hits the fade and the last few inches, which I like to leave a little stiffer.  If you don't have a gizmo, make one.  It is super easy.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 11:42:43 am »
New profile after a little dry heat to upper limb.  Only added heat to the one limb no scorching to belly or back, slight color change mostly from the olive oil. Did not flip tip to match lower yet

Do you think I need to add any heat to lower cause top limb may some heat treat?

Thanks Charles
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:45:15 pm by HighEagle »
Armstrong, BC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 11:56:26 am »
 After you match the other tip like you were saying, I would continue tillering to see if it holds first...You can always heat again later...
                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 01:17:08 pm »
We’re it me, I would heat treat the whole thing, top and bottom limb while fixing in the profile. Tips included.

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 01:22:32 pm »
Yes heat treat the whole thing, until a good deep brown. Aim to get the profiles matching limb to limb.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 11:31:19 am »
Just off the caul, matched the tips. Will start the heat treat tonight   

Happy New Year, Chuck
Armstrong, BC