Author Topic: Sturgeon Backed Yew Bow 47#@26"  (Read 9350 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Sturgeon Backed Yew Bow 47#@26"
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 09:26:48 am »
Very nice work man! I was wondering if you could give me some more information on how you did your handle wrap?

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick! I started with tanned beaver tail. I cut it to fit as your normally would with leather, though I find you have to be more precise with beaver tail because it doesn't really stretch. I used contact cement to glue a strip of thin leather along the edges where I punch the holes because beaver tail can tear out more easily than leather. I used some leather dye to get the color I wanted. As for the stitching, I used the basic lacing pattern that I learned from John Strunk when I worked with him. I hope that is helpful, let me know if I missed something you wanted to know.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:28 pm »
Beautiful bow. Anyone know where you can get these skins?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 06:51:26 pm »
Thanks Weylin! I couldn't quite place the type of leather that you was using. I knew it was natural texture but I thought it might be elephant. And maybe it is my eyes getting older bt from the picture I couldn't tell if it was a Strunk wrap or not.
Thanks again for explaining your process. I actually have a bunch of beaver tail, might give something similar a try on the bow I'm making for myself right now. Great work again bud!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!