Author Topic: D Bows  (Read 3270 times)

Offline gpw

D Bows
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:04:43 pm »
 Tried the search function , no luck .... Anybody making simple D bows anymore???

Offline DanaM

Re: D Bows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:08:51 pm »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:21 pm »
working on my first D bow now. it's a Seneca replica, longer than those pictured in the "Encyclopedia......." 
a buddy of mine is on a kick of making D bows, kinda got me hooked as well.

one of the best reasons ('s far as I'm concerned) for making D bows is it takes less wood. ;) 
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:19:34 pm »
Oh yes. I mostly make D bows, they're my favorite!  ;D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:49 pm »
i finished up another one last night..ill post pics later.
jamie

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:02 pm »
I'm still working on my first one, a red oak "D". Got along to the short string and realized I didn't have a string long enough  :-[  I need to order one, since I haven't gotten along far enough to make my own yet.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:05 pm »
Yup, they're tops ;D. Easier to make, take less material, spend alot less time tillering, and they work especially well with heavy arrows (10 grain per pound or more). You can also just glue on top grain leather to build up a handle if you find the one you have is too thin for comfortable shooting, thereofre having a flatbow style deep grip with a bow that took about a quarter of the time :).

Offline gpw

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:25:09 pm »
  Guys , Thanks for the responses... !!!   Saw in the new TBB#4 that Tim Baker was favoring a longish' D bow lately for it's shooting qualities... If He likes it so much , I just had to investigate this further ... We're 6'3" so a D bow that tall should work fine and we can try reducing mass at the tips , as has been suggested... I've got some of that Bamboo flooring now and would like to try this first , as a long D bow with Camo net backing (NON PRIMITIVE).. Just looking for a sweet shooter , something comfortable for the old bones...You guys got any good tips ??? ;D