Author Topic: What Arrow shaft material is this?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

What Arrow shaft material is this?
« on: January 02, 2020, 03:45:30 pm »
I got it growing all over behind my house. It is solid with no pith in the center. It's a shrub of sorts. Here is a picture of the berry's. They seem to stay on almost all year long. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What Arrow shaft material is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:26:24 pm »
Not straight enough to look like arrow material to me. It doesn't look like a dogwood or a viburnum.
Where do you live?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:49:39 pm »
That was just an example so you could see the berries. I live in western PA. I have made arrows out of it before and they work great for I just was hopeing I could know exactly what its called.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 06:37:46 pm »
It looks like privet to me. I once tried to make a set of arrows out of them. It did not work out well as they were not staying straight. I've stuck with wild rose since.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:56 pm »
I don't think it's privet. Privet has oval shaped fruit and these look round. And at least here privet isn't totally deciduous.
Do you know it the fruit is edible?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:43:49 am »
Looks exactly like the same stuff I have growing around my house. I live next door in WV. I'm pretty sure it's Chinese privet. Or at least that's what I came up with by researching it. It grows some pretty good looking shoots. I made one arrow out of it and it was heavier than I liked so I've not fooled with it anymore...….Art