Author Topic: Elderberry for arrows  (Read 2190 times)

Offline wstanley

Elderberry for arrows
« on: January 02, 2020, 03:58:08 pm »
Just wanted to mention the wonderful arrows elderberry makes. It is difficult to find, as the walls can be too thin at times. I don't know how many arrow I have made, but its got to be close to 75-100.

I read elderberry arrows were found in a cave, so I was set out to make them as it grows everywhere here (Sierra Nevadas of central CA). They are wonderful to work with. I pick the right dimension of shoots then let them sit for two days. Then for the next week I will bend them only by hand every night to slowly straighten them. I then peel the bark and let them sit until completely dry. I then do a final straightening by both steaming or using a soapstone arrow straightener. They bend and keep shape wonderfully. I always add a foreshaft (black oak) of course, and a inserted knock. The added knock is not necessary but it makes it more sturdy and lasts longer. I am not a good shot, I hit rocks trees miss my target a bunch and the arrows take a beating like a champ.

I shoot a 50lb sinew backed baywood bow-40'' long, deflex of the handle and reflexed static tips. 4 layers of sinew. My other shooting bow is a 50 some inch juniper sinew back bow at 38lbs. For the baywood I like 26'' arrows and the juniper I'll shoot a 31'' arrow.

I cant tell you guys grain/spine or anything like that. I simply don't know how to do it, and until know haven't needed to. I just know the stiffer the arrow the better they fly of my bows. I shoot Ishi style (could be basically called the Northern California style) and I have never been concerned with the archers paradox. I'm probably wrong but I don't think its a factor in that style of shooting as your are moving the bow out of the was as you release the arrow.

Its is a very light and soft wood. I imagined native folks liked it for its ease to work with, especially drilling out a fore-shaft hole, you can practically do it with a sharp stick. I know for hunting you want a heavier arrow, but I would say with a thicker walled elderberry, an oak foreshaft and sharp obsidian point, that it would find its way through the vitals of a buck just fine. Maybe not?

Anyhow just wanted to give a shout out to that material, its great. I would be willing to send some out if anyone was interested.

Thanks,
Wes