Author Topic: Any hardcore winter campers?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Any hardcore winter campers?
« on: January 02, 2020, 09:14:37 pm »
I am looking to buy a decent cold weather sleeping bag and I wanna pick the brains of some hardcore winter campers. What are the features and details I am looking for in a bag that will keep me alive down to 0 Fahrenheit?

I am not wanting to spend over $150 for the bag. The ground pad(s) will be the next purchase once I have the bag.

And do you have a brand/retailer you would recommend (I am hoping to find it at Cabelas since I have a couple of gift cards that I could use to take a little sting out of the final price.)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

Re: Any hardcore winter campers?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:45:13 pm »
I've been sleeping in my truck on and off since 2014. I have been through ice storms in Kansas down to 3° in a bag I bought from Bass Pro. Its Rogue Expedition brand, good down to 0°. I literally use this bag to keep me alive and healthy to work after a nights sleep. It has a tough canvas outter cover that can be spritzed with spray to waterproof it, and a super soft comfy plaid liner on the inside. I've had it for over a year now and am considering buying a second one. I've slept in it for two winters and on it all summer. I've had my dog sleep on it, had him pee on it, washed it many times, and its holding up fine without so much as a run in the threads, or as us sailors call em, Irish pennants. The stitching is tough and good quality, with a decent zipper, though I haven't used the zipper much. It also has velcro straps and plastic clips to secure it in a bed roll for back packing.

All in all, I have absolutely zero complaints in this bag, and would suggest it to anyone. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go collect my commission. :D

Ps. As I recall, the price was around 120.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:15:38 pm »
I love the freedom of the roomier rectangular bags, but weight is a consideration. I will be looking at mummy type bags.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:26:34 pm »
I love the freedom of the roomier rectangular bags, but weight is a consideration. I will be looking at mummy type bags.

I get restless legs, and get anxiety thinking about mummy bags, especially since I need to be able to jump out fast incase someone tries to rob me again. I've no experience with them, but if this company makes one, I'd buy it were I so inclined.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others