Author Topic: What strength hide glue?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Mesophilic

What strength hide glue?
« on: January 19, 2020, 08:22:31 pm »
Tried the search but wasn't coming up with an answer. 

A) What strength hide  glue for sinew would you recommend?

B) What strength for horn to wood?

C) what ratios dried glue:water would you recommend for both?  I've gotten advice on this one, but would like to get a general opinion.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

bownarra

Re: What strength hide glue?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:11:44 am »
Its all the same strength just watered down more or less :)
As with all these things the perfect thicknesses of glue was worked out many years ago. We just follow :)
The core should be sized with 5% and heated during application. The first layer needs thicker glue than subsequent layers. First course - 30%, 2nd course - 25% and 20% is ok for the last layer.
The thickness for the horn/core bond should be 30 - 35%. Of course you must size both core and horn with upto 30 coats of very thin glue 2 - 3 % until the whole surface is glossy, you can size with thicker glue but what is the point!
The thickness is the ratio.  30% glue is 30% glue and 70% water. Simple :)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 10:25:09 am »
So basically if I had 150, 250, and 350 gram strength glues, they just get heavier in dry density the higher the number goes up?

Just to simplify, say a gram of 350 could equal something like 2 grams of 250, and 3 grams of 150 by dry weight?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:24:06 am »
I don't have a clue! That 'strength' measuring system is something devised by the man who makes the stuff, it is not how 'strength' of glue is measured.
As I said make your own and then you know.