Author Topic: Single bevel vs. double bevel  (Read 9060 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Single bevel vs. double bevel
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:53:56 pm »
I've always used double bevel (Zwickey eskimos, to be exact).  Wondering what the pros and cons are for big game.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Single bevel vs. double bevel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:47 pm »
They both work well for taking game.I think the thing about single bevel if in combination with fletch helical that allows the arrow to spin the same as the bevel the momentum, both forward and in spinning will split bone if it's hit plus it supposedly aids penetration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 03:10:50 am »
I think it is just marketing to get us old guys to buy new heads. I sure have not put enough broad heads through deer to form an opinion. Clay Hayes uses a single bevel.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:12:01 pm »
I think the difference would be hair splitting,, with a primitive bow,, but I am just guessing,,maybe there are advantages I have not come to appreciate,,,

Offline StickMark

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 07:41:12 pm »
My test results. Using two separate 3/4 " pine boards and shots out of a 43 pound bow, same arrow weights, an Ace 160 grain double bevel went in 5/16 inch, cracked wood 4 inches. The Grizzly SB 153 grain went in 15/16 ", and made a 6 inch crack.  Didn't shoot on a moving mulie buck at 20 yards (that is separate topic), so as if yet, only targets, and an S shape cut occurs, whether cardboard or wood. Profile is also what I like, so maybe an advantage there w 3to1.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 12:02:15 am »
I would think the single bevel is more appropriate to a thinner (saw blade) trade point.  I am assuming the bevel is cut on opposing edges, i.e.  cut one bevel, then flip the point and cut the other.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 07:48:32 am »
I've made and used both the single and double beveled blades for over twenty years. I've taken a number of deer with both, but the only arrows I've lost from pass-throughs on deer were single beveled broadheads, never a double bevel. Shooting lighter weight hunting bows with a short draw length is about the greatest advantage I can think of. For me, the single beveled blade is easier to make, and provides a super sharp edge.

Look up Dr Ed Ashby's single beveled broadhead study for a better understanding of how and why they provide an advantage for today's hunters......Art

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 08:28:51 pm »
I've killed a fair amount of deer with 3 blade, double bevel and single bevel broadheads. The only heads I've used for my last 30 or so deer have been single bevel. Once I read Ashby's Arrow Lethality Study it opened my eyes to the advantage of single bevel heads. The number one thing I noticed that is rarely mentioned is that the recovery distance has been significantly shortened. Almost every deer I've killed with a single bevel Tuffhead or Grizzly El Grande has expired within sight... Most travel less than 30 yards. 90% of shots are pass thrus with 40 - 50 # bows and 600+ grain arrows. I believe the most important part of my hunting gear is the broadhead so I use what has given me the best results. Anyone interested in this subject should read Ashby's reports.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 10:38:58 am »
Is the distance travelled directly related to the fact that they are pass through shots or does the single bevel somehow do more damage?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 10:57:58 am »
DC, like someone above said the single bevel head makes an "S" shaped hole instead of a simple slit which makes a larger, more open wound allowing more blood flow, more dramatic hemorrhaging.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 11:28:02 am »
Does it not matter then if the blood can get out of the body? Like a pass though leaves two holes where the other leaves one hole with an arrow stuck in it.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 11:43:28 am »
The reason I use single bevel is ease of sharpening, as well as easier to get a consistent shallow edge. I really dislike sharpening double bevels.
Eric

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 01:53:42 pm »
Does it not matter then if the blood can get out of the body? Like a pass though leaves two holes where the other leaves one hole with an arrow stuck in it.

Even if the blood doesn't leave the body, blood will start filling up in the body where it shouldn't be so its still loosing blood, killing it. The blood (if you hit the lungs) will start pouring into the lungs suffocating it and also collapsing the lungs, killing it. If you hit the chest but miss the lungs and heart, blood will start filling up in the chest cavity, killing it. so even if there is little (to none at certain times) blood coming out of the body it will die but that gives you a bad blood trail.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 03:02:43 pm »
 One thing to be aware of with the single beveled blade is to use a tanto double beveled tip. I had noticed on several of my deer the entrance and exit wound didn't line up with the angle at which they were shot. Broadheads seem to be planing inside the deer. I mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth mentioning again.  Dr. Ashby suggested I double bevel my tips on my broadheads to prevent what he called "deviation of penetration. This solved my problem, and know doubt, enhanced the arrow's forward momentum.

Something else I noticed on lung shots, instead a simple slit through them, they were mangled up. Dr. Ashby mentioned this also. You also get, what seems like, a larger exit wound.…..Art

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 03:53:26 pm »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I'll read the Ashby study this weekend.  If they're easier to get sharp, that's enough for me.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour