Author Topic: Single bevel vs. double bevel  (Read 9061 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Single bevel vs. double bevel
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 05:05:43 pm »
They both work well for taking game.I think the thing about single bevel if in combination with fletch helical that allows the arrow to spin the same as the bevel the momentum, both forward and in spinning will split bone if it's hit plus it supposedly aids penetration.

which way does the single bevel rotate?  How do I match that to my fletching?  I usually have left-wing fletches.  I think they rotate counter-clockwise (Anti-clockwise if Del is watching :-) ).  which bevel would also rotate in the same direction and why?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 06:09:13 pm »
I think you want the bevel on the left for left hand fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StickMark

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 08:45:16 pm »
Artcher1, I followed you advice.  I've often wondered about those tip.  Double beveling 8 tips took an hour.  They feel much better. Thx for tip.

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 12:02:16 pm »
I was recently was gifted some large chunks of foam (16inch foam pipe line pigs), I thought that they would be like a poor mans 3d target. When shot with zwickey double bevel heads they made a slit on entrance and exit, but  grizzlie single bevel heads cut out a tornado funnel shaped piece of foam, indicating a much greater wound channel. I have always liked the single bevel, and they are easy to make and sharpen. If you use the wrong wing fletch they will make only a slit on exit. If you really think about it the single bevel is the only way to go.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 06:24:15 pm »
 For what it’s worth I am a Professional Hunter in Tanzania and I have guided several bow hunts for Cape Buffalo. The single bevel heads do everything that Ashby says - but their main advantage is when they hit heavy bone. You could shoot a double bevel and a single bevel at an animal and if neither hit heavy bone you would not notice much difference in penetration but as soon as you introduce heavy bone, the single bevel is streaks ahead. What it does is twist as it passes through the bone and this causes the bone to split. This means the bone is not creating friction on the shaft passing behind. I had a long and heated difference of opinion with a client who brought a German kinetics double bevel saying he had tested it against a single bevel on a piece of plywood in front of a foam target and it penetrated better than the single bevel. I pointed out to him that a much fairer test would be a piece of lumber - which would split the same way bone does. There are no downsides to single bevel heads and lots of upsides. What Ashby says is spot on. I have tested various arrows on dead buffalo and he is completely on the money. If you shoot a single bevel into a block foam target you will notice as you pull it out that the arrow has twisted as it penetrates.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 08:07:07 pm »
Again, thanks for the input, guys.  I'm going to have to get some single bevels, in addition to upping my arrow weight.

One thing I wonder about.  I fletch my arrows with wild turkey feathers, and I use both left and right wing.  I've never seen a bit of difference in how they fly, but I have to admit I'm not crazy about having to buy (and keep track of) left and right beveled heads.   I could just fletch all my hunting arrows left and save the right wings for targets and bunnies.  But what I really like to do is make all my arrows the same, and put broadheads on the best-flying ones right before hunting season.

That's about the only advantage I'm seeing for double bevel.  That, and I already have some.  ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 11:55:07 pm »
I don't have enough bow hunting experience to state a point of view, but I have heard from other hunter that Cape Buffalo are rather tough to stop!  Got to finish the batch of saw blade
trade points waiting in the work space - single bevel for right wing this time. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 03:02:08 am »
You have to match the bevel to the fletch so that the spin on the arrow in flight and the induced twist that the arrow creates as it goes through bone are in the same direction. Otherwise you are wasting energy spinning and arrow one way in flight and then it goes the other way once it hits bone. Having said that, I suspect so long as your arrows are tuned and the bevel of each arrow head matches the fletch, I doubt you fill notice much difference at hunting ranges whether you shoot all left bevel, all right bevel or a mixture of both. But given bevelled broad heads are more expensive than feathers I would just pick one or the other and stick to it. I have used the Grizzlies and they are tough as nails and pretty reasonably priced. The Tuffhead website has all of Ashby’s articles in one place. He actually shoots a straight fletch for himself I believe. He is very big on weight forward of center arrows. This in itself puts less onus on the fletching to stabilise the arrows. If you are in any doubt about the effectiveness of single bevels this is a pretty good video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BGxWyCQ1lWM.

Remember - there are other more important things for arrow penetration than single vs double bevel - weight, shaft and head toughness and integrity and forward of center arrows of 19% or higher - but there is no downside as I see it to a single bevel - and I have seen it with my own eyes - so I am a full believer.

https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/

In case you are wondering ... I am in no way affiliated with any of this ... I just think that it is an incredible resource for responsible bow hunters to make use of
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:06:02 am by Tommy D »

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 09:40:30 am »
I don't know about better penetration but am convinced that the single bevels cut better if spinning the proper direction.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 01:43:15 pm »
I was wondering whether any of the English “warbow” guys have ever measure old English arrows for High FOC; I enjoyed Ashby’s article on the heavier tipped arrows being preferred in Papua New Guinea. I can’t help but think that trial and error would have led an armour piercing arrow design to the same conclusion?