Author Topic: Longrifle show  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Longrifle show
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:00:33 am »
Just a heads up for those who might be interested;

4th Annual Alabama - Kentucky Rifle Show Jan. 9th, 10th and 11th, 2020 at Wheeler Lodge at Joe Wheeler State park near Rogersville Al.

This is big event, so much stuff to see if you are interested in original and contemporary longrifles. Plenty of vendors will be there with stock blanks, barrels, and almost most any part you could want to build a rifle. Lots of guns for sale from some of the best contemporary builders, there are alway some originals for sale as well.

In the past the first day is a set up day, everyone won't be ready for business. The second day will be a much better day to attend.

The filled up on banquet hall last year so they reserved two halls to handle all the people who want to set up.

Offline gifford

Re: Longrifle show
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:18:24 am »
That would be some show to see.

Are the offerings mostly original or contemporary crafted?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:36:23 am »
 Man, I wish it was closer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 07:54:31 am »
I would say the displayed pieces are 70% original and 30% contemporary. A few of the originals are for sale, there is some trading going on as well. Most of the contemporary builders have guns for sale, almost all the contemporary builders guns are high end, carved and engraved rifles.

One interesting display last year was a collection Samuel Hawkins rifles, another was a group of Kennedy and Stults rifles that were made at large gun factories prior to the civil war and not over 10 miles from where I am sitting here typing this.

There are a lot of contemporary horns, knives and bags, some of them quite stunning.

In the background of the picture below is a display of the finest contemporary builders rifles, builders that you only see mentioned on the longrifle sites. Mike Brooks, Jim Chambers and the like. Mike Brooks is quite a character, it was nice to see two of his guns on display, his work is very good in person.

Then their are the parts..........

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:05:44 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline gifford

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:42:43 am »
Thanks for the info; man, that show would really be something to see.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 10:31:06 am »
Yeah, wish I could make that.  Perhaps some year in the future.  I just read the piece on Jim Chambers in the last issue of Muzzleloader.  Good stuff and great photos.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:01:58 pm »
Always wanted to pick up a shootable original, nothing fancy. Good thing I wasn't there. I am trying to hang on to what is in the bank to cover for last year's taxes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 08:14:28 am »
Shootable originals come up fairly often on the American Longrifles classified.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:14 am »
We have a couple of gun shows including black powder and flintlock and stuff like that here in nebraska. I have yet to go to one thought.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 09:11:35 am »
There is a guy who sells these peep sights at the longrifle show I am going to in a few hours, I hope he has some for sale. At 72 I can't see my flintlock sights.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 09:27:40 am »
Last week I bought some High Viz sight paint so I could see my flintlock sight at last light, it works well.

This is after dark after I charged my painted front sight with my flashlight and made it glow.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 08:57:18 am »
I went to the show yesterday and had a great time, I am planning to go back this morning.

The guy with the peeps wasn't there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:03:24 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline gifford

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 01:52:03 pm »
Were you able to touch base with the peep sight guy?

Hope one day to be able to see that show.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 07:37:49 am »
He wasn't there.

One guy had a table full of Kibler kit guns, I had never seen their newer colonial rifle face to face, boy, is it a sweetheart. He had one that Jim Kibler had put together himself, complete with all the bells and whistles, carving and engraving. Jim is a master gun builder and made this gun as perfect as I have ever seen. It had a $9K price tag on it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 07:55:53 am »
Here is a link to the Contemporary Makers Blogspot. These folk have cronicaled the work of the best builders in the country for years. I don't know how they do it but they are on top of everything new in the realm of longrifles and accoutrements and keep this blog up to date on their own dime if I remember correctly.

The have extensive pictures of the show on their blog.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/