Author Topic: Obsidian Dril  (Read 2524 times)

Offline wstanley

Obsidian Dril
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:14:24 pm »
Looking for an obsidian drill for drilling into arrow shafts for the foreshaft. Not experienced enough to whip one of those puppies out.

I can provide photos of actual specimens for an example.

Let me know what you would be willing to trade for

Thanks!

Offline wstanley

Re: Obsidian Dril
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:41:09 pm »
Things I could trade:

-knotless mountain mahogany stave (I would want a couple of arrowheads along with the drill for this : ) I cut it down about 4 years ago split it and never touched it. Been sitting in my closet downstairs ever since.

-raw soapstone pieces

-I could make some dogbane cordage : )

Offline wstanley

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09:28 am »
Yosemite Ben made these drills and projectile for me. The trade was initially for one drill. Very generous of him to make this little set. Love the pieces and the rainbow obsidian. I asked Ben what I could trade and he said don’t worry he’s being paid to make these! Wow what a job! I live just outside of Yosemite and will be visiting the fella this summer to thank him personally and to talk primitive technology. Thanks again Ben!!!

The arrows are button willow painted with ochre design with egg yolk binder. Foreshafts not inserted yet. That’s why I needed the drills ; )

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »
Ben never misses an opportunity to bless folks with more than they ask for. He's good people.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 10:50:50 am »
I can't help but think that they are very fragile. Is there a technique that helps them last?

Offline wstanley

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 12:24:24 pm »
You would be surprised how much life you can get out of one. I had just broken one I had forever (which is why I reached out to Ben).

I personally don't haft them. I hold them between heels of my feet and drill as if I'm making fire.

They key is to start slow and then build up speed. Keep lateral movements to a minimum. Yet to have broken only but a tip using this method. That's how I do it anyways.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 11:08:16 am »
Mt. Mahogany stave

Offline Stonewall3636

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 12:50:24 am »
PM sent