Author Topic: hatchet/ hawk  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hatchet/ hawk
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 11:09:18 pm »
Wayne, I told Bobby I wanted a throwing/camp hawk and I think he did a great job. It holds an edge pretty good but I haven't used it much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 11:51:37 pm »
thats awesome, thank you guys so much.
i really like the unique style of that hawk Pat, i am going to give it a go emulating it.
Thanks Dylan, was just online sourcing some 1080- going to make a call in the morning.
 many thanks for all your help, do you mind terribly if i pm you for a few pointers in the heat treating?

my son is showing a lot of interest in doing some forge work, hence the motivation to pull all the gear out. the axe is a project for me, while i am helping him.
many thanks

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 11:51:23 am »
dylan, any ideas as to where a fella might get 1080 in say 1.5" bar stock- i cant seem to locate any. it all seems to be flat bar stock for knife blades

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 02:17:43 pm »
pat.
that's a really nice railroad spike tomahawk you got there .
I like how your friend drew down some material in the center of the eye.

fwiw.
in my experience with making railroad spike tomahawks make sure to use the ones with the raised letters hc on the head.
supposed to be 4130.
I brine quench mine and no temper.
they seem to hold up fairly well that way.
Kevin

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 03:08:03 pm »
I’m no expert but I’d be happy to walk you through what I have already fuddled through myself  ;D

And I’m sorry but I have no idea on your second question the 1” square I got from “Aldo Bruno the New Jersey steel baron” you could try calling his company and see if they have anything thicker.
You might be able to find large drill rod in W-1 or W-2 or O-1 but they will be round instead of square and will make slitting the eye more challenging