Author Topic: Beef tendon drying?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Mafort

Beef tendon drying?
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:59:09 am »
So there’s a butcher in Memphis Indiana who has started saving large amounts of beef tendon for me. Like weekly. My problem now is I’ve put them in a food dehydrator where they’ve been for a day and some change and some of them are still not dehydrating. Is it because theyre greasy or is it because they are thicker than the deer legs I’m used too or am I doing something wrong?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Beef tendon drying?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:03:12 am »
They should dry.  I've harvested many beef tendons and they always dried fairly easily.  Plenty of air movement is necessary.  They are quite greasy though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:11:18 am »
There is a neck "tendon" in cows that doesn't work. If I'm remembering right it's quite thick. Like more than an inch and at least 3-4 " wide. I asked a butcher for some tendon once and that's what he gave me. When it was dry it shattered like glass when you hit it with a hammer. Leg tendon was fine though.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:22:16 am »
I did some research on it and I made sure to ask for leg tendons only. These things are really long. Talking up to 18”-19” long

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:32:02 am »
Have you taken the sinew bundle out of the sheath that covers it? I think with thick sinew bundles you would get quicker and more even drying if the sinew bundle is at least split in half or more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline maitus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:51:48 am »
I did some research on it and I made sure to ask for leg tendons only. These things are really long. Talking up to 18”-19” long
You should ask him for back tendons. Those are really long.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:28:56 am »
Have you taken the sinew bundle out of the sheath that covers it? I think with thick sinew bundles you would get quicker and more even drying if the sinew bundle is at least split in half or more.
Yessir I have. I managed to split them up so I’m hoping they dry a little faster

Offline Mafort

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 11:49:10 am »
I think for the rest of these I need to really really pull back the thinner membrane and fat on these because they’re drying but it’s super slow. And I think the fat on them is what’s keeping them from drying correctly

Online Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 01:39:41 pm »
 I never understood why beef tendon is not used more often. I have never tried it.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 04:05:57 pm »
Somewhere in the bowyers bible it says beef sinew is really  fatty and not quite the same strength as tendon from a more athletic animal. I haven’t used it for backing but it’s plenty good for wrapping.  You can find it fresh at a lot of asian butcher shops or chinatown grocers. I bet it’s fine  for backing just might need some degreasing

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 04:27:44 pm »
I went to a butcher a couple of years back and asked if I could get sinew. he said sure and stood a 5 gal bucket in the corner of the room. Every time they had a piece in their hands it went into the bucket. Two days later the bucket was full. Not one piece was longer than 5". I think it's just the way they butcher beef. it's hard to get them to change.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:35 pm »
Most of the beef back strap sinew is out of reach for us, as it gets left on the meat when cut into steaks mmm.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 12:58:55 pm »
Silverskin is a great source of sinew, I think it comes from near rhe ribs. It does need cleaning up though

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 03:52:09 pm »
Ed, you are correct. Most of the back sinew on beef gets cut up into steaks. Rib roasts & whole sirloin strips have great sinew but a person would have to remove the fat to get to the sinew..then remove the sinew and tie the fat back on top of the roast before roasting it whole. I don't think too many chefs or meat processors would go to that much trouble unless that sinew would sell for a big price.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges