Author Topic: Side quivers  (Read 2453 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Side quivers
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:19:28 am »
Hi, all.  Just curious:  When you use a side/hip/belt quiver, do you prefer the fletchings pointing forward, or back?  I tend to prefer the feathers in the back: I hunt some pretty gnarly country and I can slip through brush and deadfall with less noise and less damage to the feathers.  But most adds and pictures seem to show the feathers pointing forward.

I've also noticed, looking at old drawings, that Native American side quivers tend to have the feathers forward or sideways, and European quivers tend to have them pointed backward or diagonally.

How do you wear yours?  Why?
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline wstanley

Re: Side quivers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:22:45 am »
I have a west coast quiver (inverted otter skin). I don't wear it when I hunt though. One arrow is knocked and 3 are held in my shooting hand. I shoot Ishi style which allows me to comfortably hold 2-3 arrows with my pinky and ring finger against my palm. Too brushy where I live so I find the less is better when hunting.

I use my quiver for long distance travel. Sometimes my bow is in it other times I hold it. I like it across my chest with the fletching forward near my right shoulder. Makes for a quiet - limited motion retrieval of an arrow if I see a squirrel/quail/rabbit as I hike along the trail.

Shasta Natives in a "War Dance" , check out their quivers.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:37:56 am »
Interesting, WS.  I think that takes us out of the realm of side-quivers, though.  Chest quivers?  That's a new one on me.  Cool that it works.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline wstanley

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:43:28 am »
Sorry WB, it sure does. I read your post too quickly and was more commenting on the native pics you mentioned.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:10:17 pm »
I use 2 styles of side quivers. For 3D shoots I use a side stalker style and for hunting I use a GFA style side quiver I made from an old Selway bow quiver. With both stlye of quiver the fletching goes toward the rear and I have a fleece cover to go over the fletching in case of foul weather. I prefer the GFA style quiver for hunting because it holds the arrows positively and is very quiet. When I approach heavy brush I can push the quiver back so it rides along my spine and ducking through brush I can tuck it under my arm and close to my body. The side stalker works well for 3D because I can put more arrows in it  ::) and retrieve them easily when needed for a shot.
This is the side stalker style...

This is the GFA style quiver pics. You can see the fleece fletch cover wrapped around the body of the quiver so it's always handy.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gifford

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:12 pm »
Most all of my shooting includes my belt mounted side quiver. Fletching is to the rear.