Author Topic: Violating knots  (Read 2152 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Violating knots
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 11:34:05 pm »
The only way I would try,,,.would be to see if it would hold...not expecting it too,,..just an experiment,,..I have never tried one with that issue on the back,..

Offline wstanley

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 08:00:01 am »
The bow is this one (not theC-shaped one from the other post).

Here are the profile views of those two knots.

Thanks again for all the advice. I知 thinking I値l  set it aside and working on I down the road with more experience.

I am aware I don稚 have to follow a ring with ash. I usually don稚 touch the back after the bark is removed, only to roughen up the surface for the sinew application. At the time I had it in my head that Ishi violates the back of his bow - to what degree I知 not sure. So I ran with it on this guy. I know too far : )

Offline wstanley

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 08:06:20 am »
Second knot profile

Offline bassman

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 08:08:47 am »
No one is more guilty of trying to make a bad stave work than me. Way more than not mine fail. I will say I have learned from trying. Some times for me it is shortage of wood ,or just the challenge.Badger said once that some staves are not meant to bows. I have proven him to be right on more than one occasion.Yours really looks iffy to me, but it is your choice.Good building, and good luck either way.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 08:48:13 am »
Thanks bassman. Yeah it痴 too bad I really liked this bow, and I ruined it to no fault of my own. I知 gonna set it aside and one day I知 sure I値l come back to it. Perhaps a rawhide backing.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 09:24:43 am »
Thanks bassman. Yeah it痴 too bad I really liked this bow, and I ruined it to no fault of my own. I知 gonna set it aside and one day I知 sure I値l come back to it. Perhaps a rawhide backing.

You can ease that pain by reconsidering whether it was a bow at all at this point. ;)