Author Topic: Been away too long  (Read 1891 times)

Offline k-hat

Been away too long
« on: January 16, 2020, 10:16:55 am »
Lotta life has happened over the past few years, apparently not only for myself but on PA as well.  Just popped on by chance and saw that Halfeye has passed away. Very sad to hear about this :'(, I had hoped one day to make my way up to his neck-o-th'-woods and visit with him. Always admired his straightforward, no-nonsense approach to making a stick bend :BB, as well as his willingness to encourage and pass on the craft.

I see also that the list of regulars has changed. I've got a big building project coming up involving wood (not a bow), that will have me pretty well occupied over the next year. Then back to bowmaking. Think I'll do some halfeye-sticks in memoriam.

The project? Building our dream log home. Was stuck in the city way too long, closing on 40 acres in SE OK soon. This time next year (Lord willing) I'll have all the bow wood I'll ever need, and a proper shop to boot.

Maybe I'll do a home build-along  for interested parties ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Been away too long
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:33:47 am »
Welcome back!  I'm one of the newer guys, and the folks are still helpful and pretty friendly!  Good luck with the build project.  40 acres in that area should be hunting ground. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 10:41:13 am »
Hey hawkdancer, it certainly is  )P(  ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:45:09 am »
Im newer too! welcome back!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:12:45 am »
I'm one of the old farts. Welcome back, K-hat and Good luck on your building project. My wife and I build our dream home over 30 years ago on our 25ac. and are still enjoying our handy work. I'd love to see a build along if you have the time and initiative.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:34:19 am »
Welcome back k-hat. I'd love to see a log cabin build along.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 11:50:28 am »
Howdy deerhunter21!
Hey Pat, glad to see you're still active around here. There are several friends and acquaintances interested in following along, I plan at minimum to do a little website or blog to catalog the build. The method is kinda neat, I found it the same way I found PA and trade bowmaking. Definitely not mainstream! Search "log home builders association" if you're curious.  ;)

So Pat I see halfeye no longer shows on the member list, but his posts will continue to be available, yes?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 11:51:52 am »
Pat I think I've seen snippets of your dream home in your bow posts, nice place 8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 01:22:51 pm »
I don't know about Rich's pics but all of the text is still here. We've lost lots of pics due to Photobucket. I lost 106 pages of pics because of them.
Yeah, it's nice to be in the same place for over 30 years and things still basically like we found them except for our input. I'll check out the site.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 12:44:24 am »
Well I'm not an old fart and have just gotten back again myself. But welcome back!
I don't regret saying that I'm kinda inveious of you building your dream home on your own land. I would love to see your progress!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 05:41:14 am »
Welcome back, guess I am one of the old farts  :-\ Good luck on your home project, lots of work but be great to get out of town on a piece of land.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 07:43:32 am »
I got 10 years in on here, don't post a lot but get on everyday to help me keep my sanity especially since I lost my Chris. But at 70 I am an olde farte,lol

Welcome back and looking forward to your build.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »
Nice to meet you, k.  Congratulations on the new land in a beautiful area.  I'd love a cabin build-along!
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 09:49:18 am »
K-hat, I too have been on hiatus for three plus years. Last weekend I got totally fed up with another social media venue and decided to check PA out again. How refreshing it was to read arrivals about stuff I’m interested in with out the religious and political propaganda at every turn. Welcome back and good luck on your build a long. Hope it’s s gooder, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »
All of you young whipper snappers remember that "old is 40 years older than I am ever going to be!"; and I hit 80 last year!  (lol) (lol). I am with bowtarist!   Good folks here - real glad I found the group!  I have learned a lot!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry