Author Topic: Hide time  (Read 6037 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hide time
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 04:59:51 am »
BJ....One slick way of making sure all epidermis is off besides sanding is to brain the hide till completely limp and then scrape it on fleshing beam with a dull flesher.That action also helps to get better brain penetration on next braining besides twisting moisture out multiple times.It loosens the fibers for better penetration.Especially in the neck/spine/and hip areas.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 06:50:07 am »
Ed I also do that after the first braining and it does help, just have to be gentle because it is like wet rawhide to some existent and can put a hole it it pretty easy especially in the thinner areas. ;) :) I have also gotten to where I go over them several times after I get the hair off while they are still in the rack, I don't get in a hurry to take them off the rack until I have taken the time to check them really good and usually thin some around the neck area if it is a large hide. Looking good BJ.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:30 am »
Thanks Ed. I’ve been doing like Pappy said and going over with scraper really good before removing from rack. Also using a sander to for final cleanup.

Is it possible to leave on rack and brain it completely that way? I’m guessing not but just thought I’d ask.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 10:50:10 am »
Yes...While in the rack a good light source like the sun/window or light bulb behind it can reveal any left over epidermis too.That's what I usually do.
Going from 60 grit overall to 80 grit overall is about the extent of fine sanding I do.I use a palm sander nowadays.Both sides too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 06:52:57 pm »
Got another one ready for brains tonight. A nice big doe. Was a very nice hide. I spent extra time scrapping and sanding this one. It had a pretty thick hide. One to go.

Sure is good exercise.

Bjrogg

Offline Stoner

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 06:08:06 am »
Way to go Brian, Got a bunch of hides, need to get busy.

I use to dry scrape my hides on the rack also. I will try the wet method for the first time. I'll let you know how it goes. John

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:32 pm »
Do you keep the brains in the freezer or do you have a source for fresh brains?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 08:14:51 pm »
I keep in freezer. I believe Ed said he’s gotten pig brains from Piggly Wiggle. 

Bjrogg

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:35 am »
Any idea how long they can keep in the freezer and still work. Have a couple deer heads in the freezer
In the woods I find my peace