Author Topic: toothed scrapers- how do you cut the teeth?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
toothed scrapers- how do you cut the teeth?
« on: January 17, 2020, 08:29:31 am »
I have been trying to hand-file teeth into some old saw blades and hack-saw blades with little success, my files are just skating over the hardened steel with little effect even though they bite really well into mild steel.  What is the best approach, I only have hand tools?

Offline DC

Re: toothed scrapers- how do you cut the teeth?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:56 am »
I used a piece of an old handsaw blade. Files nicely and holds an edge.

Offline gorazd

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 11:03:40 am »
I have been trying to hand-file teeth into some old saw blades and hack-saw blades with little success, my files are just skating over the hardened steel with little effect even though they bite really well into mild steel.  What is the best approach, I only have hand tools?

Take a special file for ski edges ...  they are tough and fine
Count the moves (!!!) with a file and do it only on one slope of the saw tooth  - to keep the "wave lenghth" more even - speaking from physics language - when comparing the picture of scraper with a triangular wave  ;)

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:16:43 pm »
There are commercially available scrapers with laser cut teeth. Dictum has them in. I got one from them that is 2mm thick and it is absolutely superb. Much better than scrapers made from thinner material. I still use a thin cabinet scraper with filed teeth for the initial groove cutting with the projecting foot.

Offline avcase

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 09:33:35 pm »
Those scrapers really seem to be a good deal, especially considering how specialized they are.

Alan

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 11:53:07 am »
Found  steel I can use- a brick-layer's trowel don't know how old it is, the steel is over 1mm thick