Author Topic: Chronographed my go to selfbow  (Read 7232 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Chronographed my go to selfbow
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2020, 05:30:46 pm »
Yeah, it doesn't sound right does it Steve. But I did recheck the arrow's and bow's weight and then shot group after group and the numbers didn't change. Not only that day but other days as well. Perhaps those two arrows were very well tuned to the bow than the others. This is the only time I've ever noticed that great a difference in a set of arrows. Only thing different was that this bow was an unusual bow build from all others that I'll built over the years....Art

Offline Badger

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »
  It would be interesting if you could figure out what caused the difference. Maybe spine?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2020, 07:08:02 pm »
That particular set of cedar arrows were sanded down from 65# to 50#. I footed them while I was at it. Also somewhat full tapered.
Spine was the same on all of then. Only difference was there physical weight.

I think those two arrows were a near perfect match to that particular bow. Where the other four arrows, although lighter in weight, just didn't jive with the bow...…...Art

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2020, 07:13:44 pm »
a 20 fps increase does not seem possible,, with heavier arrows,, never seen that

Offline artcher1

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2020, 07:39:15 pm »
I agree with you Brad. It doesn't seem possible...…..but it did happen! Perhaps I just happen to hit upon that sweet spot with a bow and arrow combination...…...Art

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:48 pm »
Is it possible that the lighter arrows were oscillating more and at a distance that made them go through the chrony at an angle. Making a longer disntace between posts. Which will give a slower reading due to a longer time between the sensors. Unlikely, but maybe.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:25 am »
There's roughly 15% between 167 and 145. 15% of a 30" arrow is 4.5". The only thing I could see would be the faster arrows triggering on the leading edge of the fletching but that would not be consistent at all. The window (sweet spot) of the chrono is only 3/4" wide on my Chrony and maybe a bit wider on my Caldwell so going through at an angle really doesn't do much. I don't know if that window flares out much as you go up though. Chronos are pretty fussy about how the arrow goes through. I would think that anything angled enough to make any difference would trigger an ERR.