Author Topic: slingshots/catapults  (Read 4407 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
slingshots/catapults
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:52:57 am »
I fancy building a slingshot, something pretty, maybe using up some of my antler, horn and exotic hardwood scraps. Never built one, the only one I ever owned was a Black Widow back in the '80s and looking on-line the world of catapults has moved on a long way since then.  I was thinking of cutting down a bicycle inner-tube for the elastic, would that work? Anyone got any thoughts whether through the sticks or over the sticks is best?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: slingshots/catapults
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:15:46 am »
Pretty sure Knoll makes some nice ones.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:39:47 pm »
A friend here makes slingshots and uses exercise bands, thin, wide elastic bands. Different colors have different strengths. He gets them from Wal Mart and uses a rotary cutter to make bands about 3/4" wide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:26:05 pm »
Exercise band and a replacement band

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 01:27:29 pm »
This is one my dad made me way back in the early 60s. The band has been replaced.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:29:07 pm »
Here are a few that my Grandson and I have made.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 01:33:36 pm »
This one is not of course homemade. I won it at a archery shoot.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 02:06:35 pm »
Bicycle inner tubes and hardwood handle, leather pouch are the "classic"!  Surgical tubing, exercise bands work good, any experimental parts work!  Just takes practice to get good, like any other skill >:D (lol)!  Have fun!
Hawk dancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:48:24 am »
I just bought a sling shot, replacement band and 250 steel pellets at Wally World for $13.00 and some change. They make biodegradable pellets but they didn't have any.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 04:39:52 pm »
You can hunt down the loose steel balls with any magnet, the extendable type are easier on the back and knees!  (lol) (lol) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 06:19:24 pm »
It depends on how serious you want to get...Just make one,that works,or one that works really well.Inner tube bands will work,but not as well as some tubes and flat bands,such as Theraband Gold..To get the most out of them,you need to establish your particular form and draw length and cut the bands to length accordingly..Band widths determine draw weight and ammo size used..It can be a bit overwhelming at first,but can be fun learning it as well..{OTT},over the Top or{TTF} Through the forks is mostly personal preference,but some styles of frames,dictate one style or the other,such as a PFS or Pickle fork shooter,which is a small frame with little to no gap to shoot through,so you have to shoot over the top,in a flip style..Its a lot of fun and be carefull or you might get a bit obsessed...A lot of similarities in Cats and archery...

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 11:18:25 am »
I used to use bicycle inner tubes but in the last year they changed the rubber type I think. It's still able to stretch but not that springy
Would use that exercise band or some tourniquet if you have the chance to find some cheap. they are pretty good

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 11:26:00 am »
Thanks everyone,  I checked Knolls posts and found the Slingshot Forum, a rabbit hole I seem to have spent a lot of time down ever since!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 04:07:11 pm »
I've been buying the tubing from HD by the foot. I've made quiet a few for the kids in the neighborhood and Grandkids. I've started carrying one when I go into the woods.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 04:33:37 pm »
This one is not of course homemade. I won it at a archery shoot.

Brian, that's one of SimpleShot's slings. He makes goooood stuff. Several years ago, his were all from wood and truly works of art.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857