Author Topic: Anyone use a Puuko style knife?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

Anyone use a Puuko style knife?
« on: January 19, 2020, 06:44:32 pm »
The shape of the blade, and the Scandi grind, seem very well suited for working on bows, as well as everyday fixed blade tasks. Does anyone here use one much?

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Anyone use a Puuko style knife?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 09:39:34 pm »
The only knives I used or bow making is a machete for rough shaping and bulk removal.  And a flat edge Japanese folder as a scraper.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:14:25 pm »
I don't use one for bows, but I do use one for carving/whittling(short blade).

It depends on what you want to use it for. Because they don't have a hilt/fingerguard there is a risk of your hand slipping during a power cut. Not really a problem if you are careful, or you use it for detail work.

Axe, drawknives, machetes, adzes are better tools for bow making. Unless your wood is really green, using a knife for a bow is a lot of work. They can be useful tools for some detail areas, like the handle, and dips and nocks.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:19:24 am »
Yes a good heavy machette is the best type of knife even then they still have limited use and a smallish hand axe is a much better tool for bow making anyway.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 08:34:31 am »
Everybody here in Finland knows puukko, the word is Finnish and means just this convenient multi purpose tool. It´s used for everything from cutting food and wood, skinning animals up to stabbing enemies in close fights... But in general it´s 70 - 11 cm long blade is rather small and light for heavy duty wood cutting like shaping staves to bows. Machete, draw knife or axe (or bandsaw) are better in that. Puukko steps in when fine tuning is needed. And then one has to peel and shape a bunch of tree shoots to arrows and in this puukko is excellent tool. Have fun!

By the way, I happen to have propably 60-70 or more different puukko from different blacksmiths and bigger puukko manufacturers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:37:54 am by Lehtis »

Offline slowbowjoe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 08:02:55 pm »
I have a good machete, and have been using that a lot working my first couple of staves. Have a hatchet and small axe too; I dole to use a knife some for scraping or working small spots.
Lehtis, any recommendations on a good Puuko? Mostly have been looking at Helle's and Ahti's.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:31:01 am »
A friend gave me one. It immediately reminded me of the old Rapala Fillet knives. I have used it a bit in the kitchen.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 06:47:13 am »
slowbowjoe :
As a Finn, I don´t touch Helle as the first choice; it´s Norwegian. May work fine but the design is not exactly the same as originally in Finland. Ahti-puukko from Kivikangas is not very familiar to me but it looks more modern than traditional when looking at the handle design. Should be good ones.

Internationally most well known are Marttiini ( https://www.marttiini.fi/epages/MarttiiniShop.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2FMarttiiniShop ) and Iisakki Järvenpää ( https://www.iisakkijarvenpaa.fi/us/ ). Good quality at reasonable price for different needs.

There are plenty of puukko manufactures, small one man production and bigger. Just try Google: Finnish puukko.

Offline slowbowjoe

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 07:24:34 pm »
Thank you Lehtis; I have searched the Puuko's, and seen the Martiini's and Jarvenpaa's, I see what you mean about the handle design. Looks like they are all good knives.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 11:39:37 am »
I often use my Mora, hultafors and Brusletto knifes (sorry Lehtis! :-[) in roughing out green hazel and yew staves. But I'm currently waiting on delivery of a Tommi Puukko blade from Annsi Russuvori and some Karelian Birch bark. When I've got those components assembled and worked to finish I'll have a real Finnish style Puukko. Can't wait!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 12:53:59 pm »
Does this qualify as a Puuko? I bought it new in 1967. It says, very faintly, on the blade "Fisgars Finland Stainless steel". I use it  for scraping around tips and other tight radii. Sorry, poor picture, it says "Normark" on the handle. I'm always suspicious of stainless blades but this seem to be a good knife.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:19 am »
DC : That qualifies. The shape of the blade is OK and even though the handle material is some polymer, it´s a puukko.

sieddy: Tommi-puukko is propably the most elegant in puukko family. Anssi Ruusuvuori, if anybody, knows what puukko is. He has written real Puukko Atlas; Puukon Historia = The History of Puukko. Two books, ca. 5 cm thick in larger than Letter (A4) page size, full of pictures, descriptions and explanations through generations up today.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 05:20:58 pm »
Love that knife DC. that must've been a real stand out bit of kit in 1967! 😊

Lehtis I've heard about that book and would love to read it but sadly I believe it's not available in English.
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb