Author Topic: Tung oli  (Read 3131 times)

Offline maitus

Tung oli
« on: January 21, 2020, 02:27:16 am »
Hi! Never used tung oil. Is pure tung oil good for useing or it must be true oil?

Offline PatM

Re: Tung oli
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:15:50 am »
Bows were made before tru-oil was invented.

Offline maitus

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:46:10 am »
Bows were made before tru-oil was invented.
Obviously they were, probably even before the tung oil was made :D....but which is better ? More waterproof?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:33:49 am »
Tru Oil is better. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 11:17:21 am »
both work well.  I do all my bows with tung oil, but I don't know if it is actual "pure" tung oil.  It's the stuff I get from the hardware store, and I think there are drying agents in it.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:15:08 pm »
I believe tru oil is a linseed base and linseed is less resistant to moisture than tung oil
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline slowbowjoe

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 07:37:12 pm »
Don't know about bows, but I use tung oil to seal my arrows, and it's very weather resistant. I've found arrows that have been lost for months, and were still in good shape.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:48:48 am »
Well applied tung oil is one of the most water resistant finishes out there. When I have the time there is no other finish for me. Especially on a wooden bow, it glows after 6 coats and has a lovely 'texture'. It is also easy to reapply after a year or so.
I'm not at all sold on Tru oil, it isn't very scratch resistant and I've found it to not be very water resistant. Bear in mind we have almost constant 70% and up  r.h. constantly.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:33:30 am »
Tru Oil was used on gun stocks that probably got abused way more than a bow and it lasts decades and generations when done right. That has to hold some water, no pun intended.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:34:45 am »
I've used Tru-Oil on my bows for many years with good results. Before that I used it on my waterfowl guns for salt and fresh water duck hunting. I haven't used tung oil on bows. It penetrates into the wood helping to bring out the grain and probably repels water pretty good but water isn't the problem. wood absorbs atmospheric water vapor. No good finish will prevent that. What you want is to slow down the hygroscopic rate, this uptake of water vapor into the wood. I've hunted in downpours with a hickory bow with a Tru-Oil finish with no adverse results during the hunt. The rain water ran right off. If I did this for a week or a month without protecting the bow between hunts It would probably show the affects.
 Jay Massey hunted Alaska with sinew backed bows, osage and hickory and used French Polish, linseed oil and shellac put on in layers as a finish and not a very good moisture sealer. One year he capsized his boat dumping all of his equipment in the river. He found his sinew backed osage bow a few days later along the edge of the river and hunted with it the rest of the trip. Not long after that he started using what we now call Massey Finish, epoxy thinned with acetone(or other similar solvents) which probably gives better protection but doesn't stop the hygroscopic rate, it only slows it down better.There are lots of good bow finishes out there. Find what works well for you and use it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline maitus

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 12:03:05 pm »
Thank You for all answers!
I will use Tru-Oil because i got it first but on the next bow i would like to try tung oil.

bownarra, for how long You let dry every coat? Du You sand or steel wool before applying the next coat?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 09:50:01 am »
I've used pure tung oil that is certified for use on cutting boards, wooden utensils and so on. It contains no driers. It works great and after a 5 or more coats with light sanding in between you can get a really nice, shiny finish.

I liberally apply one coat, leave it on the bow for one hour (during summer, indoors, with around 70% relative humidity) then wipe it down with a soft cotton rag while making sure there are no streaks or cloth fibres left on the bow. I then let it dry for one day. The next day I lightly sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper, wipe off any dust and apply another coat, repeating the process.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 11:11:11 am »
  400 grit is about the finest you need to go for finishing and sanding between coats even 320 will work just fine. 

Offline maitus

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:41 am »
Thank You for advises!
Do You polish the final coat?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 11:45:56 am »
I like to make a slurry of vegetable oil and fine pumice powder.  I rub that in and then wipe it off completely. It changes the finish from glossy to an nice satin finish that I really like.  If you prefer the glossy look, then don't sand the final coat at all.