Author Topic: Bow recommendations for really tall guys???  (Read 13793 times)

Offline TovinoThomas

Bow recommendations for really tall guys???
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:32:53 pm »
I have a strong interest in getting into traditional archery. I’ve been doing lots of reading and watching lots of videos trying to educate myself before diving in. I’m ready for the plunge and want to start buying my first set of gear. I’m running into challenges, however, because of my height. I’m 6’10” with an over 7’ wingspan, my draw length is 33”-34”. What’s out there that would work for me? Any other tall guys (or anybody) out there have any suggestions? I’m really open to whatever might work. I don’t have a recurve/longbow preference and I’m okay spending more than the average starter bow costs. Any help is appreciated! Thanksusps trackingshowbox

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:35:59 pm by TovinoThomas »

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Bow recommendations for really tall guys???
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 11:53:34 pm »
 >:D A really tall bow? (lol). With your draw length, you will need a bow probably 72" at least, in my opinion.  However, I am an instructor, and new to bow making, the more experienced bowlers will have more info, maybe.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:55 am »
Since you are new to the game I's suggest developing a shooting method that would shorten your draw length.  I don't believe there are many arrow makers that make arrows for a 34" draw. As far as bow length I'd say 72" would be a minimal for a wood bow for that draw length. Probably not many bowyers that are set up to build a bow for a 34" draw unless maybe a war bow builder.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 01:27:27 pm »
I am not as tall as you, but I am taller than average and have a draw of about 32in. I feel your pain almost all bow stuff is made for 28ish inch draws. I got into primitive archery through making self bows. I think if you made your own bows and arrows you could custom make anything you wanted for your body type. If you are interested in that, picking up "The traditional bowyers bible" Vol 1 (it goes to 4 and they are all fantastic books though) would give you an idea of what to build. The general rule of thumb for a flat self bow, would be 68in for a 28in draw, adding 2 inches of bow length for each inch of draw. So for a 34in draw you would need an 80in bow. Which may sound huge but its really just using the rule of thumb to make a longbow the same length as the shooter. A 6'10" person carrying a 6'10" bow shouldn't be much more trouble than a 6' person carrying a 6' bow. Anthropologists think the ice age user of the Holmegaard bow was shorter than his bow. Anyway. good luck man!
Muskegon Mi.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 12:43:12 pm »
2 times your draw plus 10 puts you at 78 inches. Make your arrows from long dowel rods.

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 06:37:22 pm »
I have made 74" Osage selfbow that would, if I did tiller out to 33". Have to remember with all that limb mass it has an effect on performance a bit. Still plenty of draw length to really get an arra moving.

What draw weight do you shoot at 33"? In fact what bow do you have that's made to shoot 33" draw?

My father shot 32-33" draw. Shot 68"-70" bow in high 40's at 28".

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:14 pm »
I'm no help
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 11:06:44 pm »
An old thread but it falls right into line with something I was looking for information on only last night.

Many years ago there was a long range flight bow that was in favor, in England I think.
The bows had a heavy pull but short draw length. The grip of the bow was extended far past the back of the bow by means of what looked like a spade grip.

Only other time I've seen these was when several were used as props on the Star Trek Next Generation series. They were in the hands of primitive "proto Vulcanoids" a sort of Vulcan Neanderthal man only far more advanced than humans at that stage.

This type of bow must be long out of favor because I could find no information on them.