Author Topic: Bow nocks  (Read 4978 times)

Offline DC

Bow nocks
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »
Is there a preferred nock for flight bows? I guess I'm thinking mostly about weight. Like pin nocks or small overlays. What do most people use?

Offline Badger

Re: Bow nocks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:09:20 am »
  I have never seen any evidence that super light nocks made much difference. You don't loose all the energy that the bow spent accelerating the bow limbs, a lot of it comes back at the end of the stroke because of the momentum carried by the limbs. I like to think as small as I can go but keep them safe and stable.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:15:21 pm »
Sometimes you use nock weight to balance the arrow. Usually leans toward broadhead flight though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:22:48 am »
Thanks Arvin but I was talking about the nocks on the bow. They should have a different name :D

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 01:17:40 pm »
I prefer nocks that do not rely on deep grooves in the sides of the bow. I have mostly used simple overlays on the back of bow with minimal grooving on the sides. I also make my string loops small enough so that it constricts around the nock and helps keep it together.  I avoid large loops that hang open on the belly side of the braced bow, because this does the opposite and tends to split the bow nock apart.

I find nock weight is always important, but it isn’t always as simple as lighter is better. It depends on the bow design and distribution of stiffness in the limb. A lighter tip may do more harm than good if it sacrifices stiffness of the limb toward the tips.

Alan

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 02:12:55 pm »
Is it preferable to have the stiffness in any direction? ie is side to side stiffness any better than back and forth?

"I prefer nocks that do not rely on deep grooves in the sides of the bow." So no pin nocks?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:20:56 pm »
My limb nocks are like Alan's  except my loops are bigger . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!