Author Topic: To build a fire challenge  (Read 2512 times)

Online BrianS

To build a fire challenge
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:53:23 pm »
Seven of my friends and myself set up a little fire making challenge for ourselves. These guys are good Woodsmen and many are Members of the PA Community. Over the next 7 days, each of us will start a fire outside regardless of the weather each day using a different method each time. We set a couple of rules for the challenge. Any method (primitive or modern) is acceptable, the fire must be made in 10 minutes or less each time and no method can be successfully used more than once. Sounds simple right. With all the methods available it should be easy? Time will tell. We have a prize which will go to the person who makes the most campfires (honor system). If there is a tie, We will draw a name. The first day should be easy as the weather forecast is calling for a sunny day. I have my methods all planned out in my head and can't wait to see how it goes and what the other guys come up with. Stay tuned.
Take care,
Brian

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: To build a fire challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:56:10 pm »
Sounds interesting and fun. I hope you'll document the fun.   (=)   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:39:38 pm »
Sounds like fun!  Are you looking for a full flame fire "ready to roast hot dogs" or just a good flame?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 04:46:42 am »
Do you have to gather materials or can some staging be done before hand?

Online BrianS

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 07:00:52 am »
Pat - Should be plenty of pictures by the time it is over
Hawk Dancer - Just a good flame
Chief RID - Materials can be staged before hand

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:20:37 pm »
Good timing!  A friend and I are planning to sponsor a monthly shoot fro the Buckhorn Skinners Mountain Man club and we're looking for ideas of non- shooting primitive skills.  I did see one of our members get a flame in 21 seconds with flint and steel!  We may use your idea!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:42 pm »
Cool project. Be fun to follow along
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Online BrianS

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:16:44 am »
The method I chose for day one was flint and steel. Weather was clear. I did it at night so I could film it for a video I am making. Did it two times, once with a traditional flint and steel and then another time using my flintlock. Both times worked well.
The method I chose for day two was a small magnify glass. This morning had bright sunshine at 8 am. I could not get a ember in the allotted 10 minute limit so it was a failed attempt. I have used a magnify glass in the past but it was in the spring and summer. Maybe the January sun is not strong enough in the morning.
So far one win / one loss.
One more day of clear weather and then snow and sleet is predicted so it should be fun.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:30:45 am »
Just the kinda weather that fire feels really good in.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online BrianS

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »
Here is a link to a video I made of various methods of starting a campfire. I am not a expert nor am I endorsing any method etc. I think I came about 10 ways (modern and primitive) with a couple of variations, I am sure there are some that I missed. I think I filmed 14 methods or variations of a method. I failed on two ways but still included them in the video. Quality is so so as I filmed most of it alone as I was making fire. Thanks to Dino, I learned a new method which I call the fire roll (wood ash rolled in cotton under pressure). I had fun making the video and trying all the methods. This video is not about our contest as that is still on going. Some of the methods in my video will probably show up in our contest. Right now Everyone is pretty close in our contest, I should know the Winner on Tuesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqqHjd6HplI&t=7s
Take care,
Brian

Online BrianS

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:26:33 am »
This morning's weather was a damp wet snow. A real test of skills. Not sure how the other guys are doing. Should know the Winner after Tuesday. Right now I have more successes than failures so I am happy. Stay tuned.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 04:10:44 pm »
Don't forget the battery and steel wool on the wet days. (=)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 03:59:40 am »
Dump the powder from Ur Pan into the tinder bundle works well  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 04:10:55 pm »
I like diesel fuel and torch. ;) :) :) :) Look forward to see the winners Brian.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 08:47:31 pm »
the only way i can start a fire is if i have napalm  ::)  )P( >:D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.