Author Topic: Beauty and the Beast  (Read 1805 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Beauty and the Beast
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:28:31 pm »
This one has been a bit stubborn. I’m surprised I got it as far as I did. It has a few problems yet. It’s still pretty much a beast. I’d like to get to the Beauty inside it. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

The edge closest is kinda poor material.

The base is a possibility but maybe a bit far away for me and has to travel through some poorer material to.

Opposite side has a slight ridge running in that general direction.

I’ve got a bit of time. Found out this sore thumb of mine is actually broken in two places so probably just be staring at this one for awhile.

Anyone have any ideas I’m willing to listen

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:13:33 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Beauty and the Beast
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 02:26:40 pm »
Looks like you got a booger. you need a booger picker. pressure flaker with a little bit longer point or hold the piece up a little to reach it with the one you have. If the edge is square enough on that step you may be able to pick it off.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 03:41:36 pm »
Thanks Ben. I’ve been picking boogers for almost 59 years now. I might have to research it a little more though. I always just used my finger.
Bjrogg

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:34:38 pm »
Best tool I ever made for notches and works great for grabbing those hinges. Try setting up a ridge into the backside of that hinge though. Actually, 2 ridges. Angling into it. Indirect percussion would be best to give the pop to pop it off. Though that stuffs no obsidian so I dunno. Haha
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 10:16:00 pm »
Looks like Flint Ridge. I've had that problem with Ridge before. It usually steps like that at a big crack. Be real careful smacking it or pressure flaking it with too much force.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 06:11:17 am »
Thanks Tracker. I’m thinking that’s a horse shoe nail? I made a notching tool using one but I need to make one with a  better handle. I think I’m going to look at this one for awhile till my thumb feels better. Then try to set up a ridge from opposite side and maybe base. Yeah it not obsidian I think its ridge.

Thanks Eddie. Yeah I think it’s Ridge. Has some patina and like you said I think this is actually a crack not just a step. I think the rest seems pretty solid. The material from the opposite side flacks pretty nice. I am worried about breaking it there and I actually am kinda liking the beast. I might just look at it long enough I decide to halve it to a spear. Like I said it’s been a stubborn one and I really am surprised I got this far with it. I might just clean it up a little more and see if I’m happy with it.
Bjrogg