Author Topic: Frame softening  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Frame softening
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:14:57 pm »
Fired up the woodstove in the garage and cranked up the heat and lowered the humidity and framed up a hide and softened pretty good, this hide had a lot of holes and wasn't grained very well, came out fairly well considering all the flaws. It takes me way to long to sew holes and frame up, I am always concern about hide drying to fast while I am sewing and framing, instead of stretching. New computer here hoping pics transfer. I already see I can't place emogee the same , Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Frame softening
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:18:24 pm »
Looks great  Outback. I think I’m going to give that in frame a try. When I get the ones on my frames dehaired my frames will be available. I like doing my fur barriers on stretchers and just poking them to break them.

Sometimes my brother gives me help putting my hides on a frame. Another set of hands really speeds it up a lot.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:48:10 am »
Looks good Bob, I worry about the same thing, I am pretty slow racking one up. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:23:52 am »
I watched Matt Richards frame soften a hide and he laced it up very loose... after it dries in loose frame. then you can tighten to get to lay flat before smoking... I'm gonna try it on next hide. since all mine have been hand softened... but then I just stack on a board for 24 hrs. and they lay flat... the one good thing I see about frame softening is you can see whole hide and work accordingly... gut

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:08:37 am »
Outback....Nice hide work.I can see a ripple in the center of hide framed.That always tells me while braining it is'nt brained well enough.When twisting moisture out during multiple brainings I look for small bubbles to come through hide.That tells me.You might know this already.Drying and stretching in the frame usually goes a bit faster depending on conditions.If done inside those conditions can be regulated though too.Your there till it's done though making a thinner/flatter/ and slightly larger hide.
PS...Like the wood stove....Got one just like it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed