Author Topic: Red elm heartwood or sap wood?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline liyeliye123123

Red elm heartwood or sap wood?
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:12:01 am »
Hi guys.

I ve never used red elm before. Do I use the heartwood or the sapwood and do I need to chase a ring like Osage?

Thank you! 

Li
Wildpeace Archery.

Offline IrishJay

Re: Red elm heartwood or sap wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 10:49:21 am »
I'm far from an expert, but I'm working on my second elm bow now. I used the ring directly beneath the bark for the back on both. The finished bow is shooting very well, 42# @28" about 54" ntn. Quick little bow.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 10:50:04 am »
I've never had luck with red elm, it always took 3 inches of set even at 2 inches wide. I only used heart wood though, per9you should keep sap on the back.

That being said, I have seen some red elm bows on here that were nice, so perhaps the tree I had was just not a good tree.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:15:08 pm »
Like Jay, I use the sapwood right under the bark for a selfbow. I've made a few elm bows and was very impressed with it as a bow wood. Elm does do well with heat treated belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 12:22:53 pm »
+1 on the heat treat Pat. It also takes heat shaping (I use wet heat) very well.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 12:42:33 pm »
Like Jay, I use the sapwood right under the bark for a selfbow. I've made a few elm bows and was very impressed with it as a bow wood. Elm does do well with heat treated belly.

Now, I've made a few elm bows and it's my favorite wood to have a bow made from, but red elm specifically I'd say is very finicky. I dont want my comment to sound as if I dont favor elm at all.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 04:34:55 pm »
I've used red and I've used winged and found both about the same. One bow I built was a 60" static recurve, 56#@26". Actually I've made 2 like this, both elm but not sure which elm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 07:43:23 pm »
All I know about Red Elm is that it looks pretty between 2 pieces of clear glass on a recurve,or long bow when used as a core wood.I have made a dozen,or so American Elm bows.It seems to be a very good bow wood, and from what I have read their are better Elms than that to make bows from.

Offline airkah

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:56:51 pm »
I've only made one from it, used the sapwood under the bark and it didn't give me any issues.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 11:07:00 pm »
  I don't think red elm is a very good bow wood. Most of the time it is very light and thats why they use it in glass bows. But I have seen some nice bows made from it.

Online Mafort

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:22 am »
I’ve made two. Keep it wide or pyramid shaped limbs and you will be fine.

Offline liyeliye123123

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 07:32:37 pm »
Thank you guys for your suggestions and ideas. I ll give it a try and see what happens.
Wildpeace Archery.