Author Topic: Question on arrows for youngins  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Question on arrows for youngins
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:07:21 pm »
Does spine matter as much on a low draw weight bow as much as it does on a hunting weight bow?

I'm finishing up a bow for my daughter and I think she's ready to move up from over spined hand me downs, and odd and end arrows, to arrows that suit her.

Her new bow is a 40" osage flat bow around 15#, she'll be shooting off the knuckle.   I'm having a hard time trying to  figure out where to start on shafts for this.  She insists on wood arrows, but I may try out some 800 spine carbons for her.

What say you guys?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:08:31 am by Mesophilic »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on arrows for youngins
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:32 am »
Try to find some 1/4" dowels with good grain. If she's just flinging arrows for fun it really doesn't matter. At a later date when she complains about not being able to put the arrow right where she wants it then you can make her some spined arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:05:49 am »
I like a skinny red osier shaft and a piece of copper wire for a point. Wrap with sinew. There pretty light, fly fast and penetrate good. If your daughter is consistent enough you could bare shaft and either add or subtract point weight or length of shaft. It’s a fair amount of work,  but the arrows and bows are even fun for adults to shoot. I’ll see if I can find any pictures. It’s been awhile since I made any.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:15:46 am »
For your light-pulling bow, would recommend 1/4" shafts. Spine not big deal unless child is really into the archery thing.
Most arrow suppliers will have 'em. Or big box home/construction suppliers.
Have fun!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 08:50:51 am »
When I was just getting into archery (6 or 7) i just used a tree shoot and a weird bent branch. it would shoot through old doors with targets painted on them. I had a really fun time doing that!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:33:57 am »
There is a fellow over on Leatherwall that specializes in kids ramin arrows. I think he gets about $45 for a dozen. He gives them a crown cap, some cresting and 3 feathers. Not a bad way to go if your not in the buying and building mood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 12:07:26 pm »
We are using mostly carbons in my classes, also have some woodies, I think.  Most of the bows pull 15# - 20#, and I think the arrows are spines pretty close to that as my predecessor is a competition coach.  I have some well cured osier shoots (bark on) if you need some.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:36:31 pm »
I have gotten a lot of use out of a set of kids arrows from 3 Rivers.  They have worked well on rattan bows, lightweight osage, and my old red fiberglass bow for all three of my kiddos. 

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.

She's ready for something more accurate and wants to start shooting some 3D (will be 9 next month).  Asked me why the arrows don't go where she's pointing, so I figure it's time to try to tailor to her needs.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 02:39:37 pm »
You can build them if you want most archery shops sell quarter inch arrows for about three bucks a piece. Hard even make them for that. Make sure you buy ones with real field tips that are Sharp. Those rounded crimp on points barely stick in targets. Nothing's more frustrating for a kid then to not have their Arrow stick in targets. I've made a lot of kids bows and those quarter inch arrows even out of 8 to 10 lb bows fly like darts. Kids take much more interest when they're Arrow flight looks like what adults do. They are very forgiving from 5 to 20 lbs

Offline Buck67

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 09:34:12 am »
i have made a number of sub 25# arrows for kids.  Found 1/4' Poplar dowel rods at Lowes.  It can take a while to find a 1/4" dowel with straight grain.  Out of one hundred you might find 7.  BTW, the grain only needs to be straight for 28".  It's almost impossible to find a 1/4" dowel that is straight for the entire length.

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 07:51:51 pm »
Does spine matter as much on a low draw weight bow as much as it does on a hunting weight bow?

I'm finishing up a bow for my daughter and I think she's ready to move up from over spined hand me downs, and odd and end arrows, to arrows that suit her.

Her new bow is a 40" osage flat bow around 15#, she'll be shooting off the knuckle.   I'm having a hard time trying to  figure out where to start on shafts for this.  She insists on wood arrows, but I may try out some 800 spine carbons for her.

What say you guys?
It will help her have more predictable control.  I believe when an archer of any ability gains confidence that they can hit the target, then it encourages them to put more effort into their form.  I would go with a light spined wooden arrow, but I am not aware that a 15 # arrow is available.  Lowest I can find with any predictability is 25 - 30 pounds, but then again, the archer has shorter arms so she will likely be more successful with a shorter arrow...Good question.  I hope she has a lot of fun though....and you are starting her off right.  I wish I had been that smart with my kids. 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 09:28:04 am »
an arrow with the spine not matching the bow will still be consistant, get a spine that is close (like 25#) and then make them all the same spine (all 25#) even though they do not match the bow the kid will still be shooting consistantly, then teach them how to change their aim (like if the arrow shoots left, teach them to aim more right)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 01:33:30 pm »
That is a good point about the crimp on points...they (the 3R arrows) really would be better with regular field tips. 

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 06:49:24 pm »
Arron I'll try to check tomorrow I think I might have some 1/4 in shafts if you don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me