Author Topic: How do I get the most out of the Classic?  (Read 3666 times)

Offline jeffp51

How do I get the most out of the Classic?
« on: January 28, 2020, 12:02:39 pm »
Ok, I am coming to the classic this May for the first time  and I want to make the most of it.  I would love to hear any advice out there.  Here are my limitations:

1.  I am driving out from Utah with my oldest son.  Flying was going to be cost prohibitive for two of us, especially with trying to get any gear along with us.

2.  I have to give a final on the 29th (Wednesday before the classic)--so we will likely drive straight through to get there 25-30 hours.  If we switch off drivers every few hours, it should be not too bad, but we won't be able to get there earlier than very late Thursday or sometime Friday morning.  We plan to camp in a tent.

So what would you do to have the most fun at the main three days of the meet?  What is the food situation like?  What about restrooms and sanitation?

I am open to suggestions, and I want to meet as many of you are are there.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: How do I get the most out of the Classic?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 02:40:13 pm »
go there early, leave there late ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:39:46 pm »
Jeff,

If you're looking to come down for the weekend, it's easier to set up shop in the morning than late in the evening, however Thursday nights are always pretty fun at the classic. That's when most of the weekend crowd arrives so everyone is out making bows and hanging by the fire.

There's going to be a lot of people and vendors there, a LOT. The main "campground" area is mostly RVs and Campers, but there's plenty of room down the trail for tents so you shouldn't have trouble finding a spot.

We've got a full shower house and porta-johns set up for the shoot so you're covered there.

Starting Friday morning we open the kitchen up for concessions for breakfast and lunch. We do sausage patties, sausage gravy, biscuits, fruit/energy bars, etc in the morning, and we do burgers, chips, hot dogs, cheese burgers and chili cheese burgers (with grilled onions) for lunch, along with candy bars and sodas and stuff.

That kitchen runs breakfast and lunch through Sunday.

The bow shop fills up fast, we've got over a dozen vises to work on bows but they're going to be in use from sunup to late in the evening, so get one when you can, or if you've got a setup for your camp that works too.

If you're looking to make a bow, you may want to hit up some of the people here that bring staves to see if you can reserve one from them, but that's up to you. All of the vendors will be setup by Thursday evening so there's plenty to buy.

BRING CASH. We don't take plastic at concessions (we also sell bagged ice) and while most vendors do, some don't. Cash is king at the classic.

Other than that just plan to have fun. It's always a good time, everyone is friendly, and there's always a fire going around the camp.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
Looks like you about covered it Little John, that is great news Jeff, look forward to meeting you. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:50:45 pm »
If you want to build a bow, the Selfbow Challenge is the way to go. Pappy can give all the info on that. Like was said before the bow shop is  always open and usually someone there at any time of day or night. During the selfbow challenge you'll have plenty of help in the bow shop. There are some of us always around and during the challenge the guys in orange Twin Oaks tee shirts(me included) are there specifically to help.   You and your son will be blown away. Almost too much to take in.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
Don't forget to stop by the knapin pit, right next to the bow shop, allways somebody in there and in the evenings the real die hard knappers start showing up, the whole classic is one great adventure,Hope to see ya there. Bob

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 05:38:00 pm »
There is usually a lot of osage staves for sale, have a full wallet if you want to bring some home with you. The prices are reasonable but like potato chips, you can't stop with just one.

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 07:09:55 pm »
Think i know where there’s a pile of different staves that’ll be for sale this year. Bunch of folks will get a chance to get Twin Oaks Tenn staves. Come early stay late to take home a few.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:05:27 pm »
 Thanks for the replies.  Is there much trading that goes on, or just sales?  I can't come early, but u can stay late, and I'd be happy to help with the cleanup, or help in any other way needed.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 05:39:00 am »
There is lots of trading and lots of good old generosity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 06:31:55 am »
Somebody will probably give you a stave just for the fact you drove from Utah to get there. That's something most wouldn't do for a few day stay. Enjoy your visit, Jeff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 07:07:20 am »
It is all fun. Been doing this for many many years and the classic is far the best I have ever been to. Town is close for your church services if you desire. I did have a hard time finding a Catholic church tho .lol   

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 07:17:41 am »
 The folks and I would love that PD. Watch gonna bring? I may have a couple trade items.

SB Challenge from 2019 but that not the bow I made for it. "Pocket Lint" was the knotty winner. That little limb bow has a new home as it was gifted away.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:50:47 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 07:45:32 am »
Probably arrows, and maybe obsidian. Arrows are what I am best at. If someone wants a customized set, I might be able to get some made between now and then

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 08:05:15 am »
One other thing, shoot the Ranges. There is always so much going on I've shot the Range maybe twice in the last 5 years. And I'm bringing lots of Tonkin cane.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?