Author Topic: Unintended cordage.  (Read 5309 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Unintended cordage.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 02:22:39 pm »
I am going to soak this cordage in some home made sinew glue I made from the scraps.  I simmered it for 5 hours.  I’ll hang it to dry.  Then finish it in pine pitch and grease.  Maybe it will make a 40lb bow string.  Crossing my fingers.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 07:48:27 pm »
I soaked the cordage in the warmer sinew glue I made and hung it taught to dry.  Then applied another layer of glue over it again.  It feels a bit stronger.  I plan on testing it as a bow string.  Nothing crazy poundage wise.  Maybe just whip up a quick 35lb longbow and see how it does.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:31 am »
I'm curious about how the glue soaking will work. You ever notice how easily the fabric tears when you splash epoxy on your shirt? Why wouldn't the same kind of thing happen with the string? Just wondering, I have no knowledge of this stuff :).

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 10:08:15 am »
Nice work!  That is a skill that is very useful, but also has a learning curve.  I imagine it was learned early by most young children in more primitive cultures, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 02:05:14 pm »
I'm curious about how the glue soaking will work. You ever notice how easily the fabric tears when you splash epoxy on your shirt? Why wouldn't the same kind of thing happen with the string? Just wondering, I have no knowledge of this stuff :).
That's because the stiffer spot becomes a leverage point against the fibers inside. Same reason nature strings break sooner when served at the arrow nock.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:30 pm »
I’m not entirely sure how it is gonna turn out as a bow string.  In my mind I see the fibers bonding together with the glue and not just from the friction of being twisted together.  Who knows.  I’ll find out once I finish the bow for it. 

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 05:34:45 am »
Went out to my dads property to do some stump shooting the other day and stumbled a across a whole bunch of shoots of the same tree.  Turns out the smaller shoots pull off longer nicer fibers.  Got me a handful. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 11:08:14 am »
That is a nice bundle, should keep you busy for a while!  Anxious to see the final results!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 06:19:59 pm »
I’m thinking about trying some to back a bow with that has some grain violations.  Or heck just soak the bundle in warm hide glue and twist up a string like sinew. So it’s all glued together and strong.  Heck I don’t know I have so many ideas haha

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 02:32:21 am »
Don't know squat about this but wax seems to be the known treatment instead of glue. Your thread sure has sparked an old flame for me. Not much better thing to do while sitting in a turkey blind than twist up some cordage. I usually whittle but twisting fibers could be my new pass time. Thanks! Great post!!!