Author Topic: Importance of late wood in whitewoods and cutting wood in spring  (Read 3007 times)

Offline zoomer

Importance of late wood in whitewoods and cutting wood in spring
« on: February 03, 2020, 08:27:59 am »
I've read in TBBI that Jim Hamm cuts his bow wood in August, so that the dense latewood outer ring has fully grown and the bark is still easily removed. How important is a fully grown latewood ring in whitewoods? In early sping, early wood ring starts to grow. Does that mean that cutting wood in early spring, when there is an immature, thin early wood growth ring, is undesirable? The tree I want to cut is birch.

Offline bushboy

Re: Importance of late wood in whitewoods and cutting wood in spring
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 08:40:35 am »
Early spring is good,mid growing season ,not so much.imho.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:29:56 pm »
I’ve heard similar things before. I’ve asked when to cut before and got all kinds of answers. Most whenever you have a saw in your hand. I’m curious. I may be wrong but if I understand correctly, this years cambium is next years late growth? I really don’t know. I’ve harvested HHB anytime of year. Winter harvest I use my power washer to remove bark and cambium. I’ve probably harvested the most in winter cause that’s usually when the saw is in my hand.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:48:44 pm »
Yeah,I believe the same.the early wood either comes off with the bark or is sanded off in most cases.granted the tree is harvested as soon as the sap is up.marc would likely know best!!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:39:48 pm »
I have cut Osage in the summer that the outer most ring was not fully mature. Somewhat a mottled appearance. I will assume white woods would behave the same but I can’t say for sure.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 03:26:12 pm »
I always cut my hackberry in Jan or Feb and the bark just slides off with a lil drawknife work.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »
 Whitewoods are not all fit into the same box.  They  likely vary  more than any other wood types in their ring growth.

The best scenario for bark removal and full  outer growth ring for any wood is right when the sap rises or right after the growth ring for the year is laid down.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 07:37:02 pm »
Sounds logical but I've never worried about it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 09:41:59 pm »
I prefer spring cut whitewood. My thoughts are that last year's growth ring has had all winter to mature.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 07:55:47 am »
I recently made 4 of what I think is paper  Birch self bows. Cut them in Sept. at around 60 degrees, and stored in my basement at about the same temp. Bark pilled off easily when green. Even after drying for a couple  of months the outer bark pilled off like sheets of paper,and the cambium scraped off easily. Maybe  had I cut the trees in March, or April of next  year I would have had a thicker, stronger,  outer growth ring. I have no idea, but so far the backs of these bows are holding  up with no problems.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 07:58:11 am »
I prefer spring cut whitewood. My thoughts are that last year's growth ring has had all winter to mature.

You've mentioned this before.  What do you think happens to a growth ring in winter?

Offline bassman

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 08:20:43 am »
You talking to me Pat M.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 08:24:47 am »
No. I quoted Pat B.

Wood is dormant in the winter.  Hard to see anything happening  to the finished ring in the winter. 

Offline bassman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 08:25:46 am »
I see that you are not talking to me after looking closer.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 04:20:34 pm »
I cut my wood in mid/late summer, and the oak bark just popped right off, cambium included.  Made sure to harvest under a full moon.  Call me superstitious, it just seems to work for me.  Maybe it's the old ways talking.