Author Topic: Importance of late wood in whitewoods and cutting wood in spring  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Importance of late wood in whitewoods and cutting wood in spring
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 05:01:07 pm »
Pat, wood is always dormant, dead as a matter of fact. The only thing on a tree that is alive is the cambium and the buds. Bark and wood is basically dead. My reasoning is that over the winter the wood cells have time to harden off at least more that summer or fall cutting. I have4 no proof of this it's just my thoughts. That being said I cut bow wood when it is available but my preferred time is once the leaves come out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 07:50:04 pm »
birch is diffuse porous and not near as critical as some ring porous woods that have a distinct punky earlygrowth.

another consideration with birch is if you cut just as the sap comes up   (buds reddened, but before buds turn green), the bark peels off very easily, making  quite a bit less work as if the stave is dried with the bark on it becomes very difficult to remove

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »
Pat, wood is always dormant, dead as a matter of fact. The only thing on a tree that is alive is the cambium and the buds. Bark and wood is basically dead. My reasoning is that over the winter the wood cells have time to harden off at least more that summer or fall cutting. I have4 no proof of this it's just my thoughts. That being said I cut bow wood when it is available but my preferred time is once the leaves come out.

Yeah, that's what I meant.    Wood changes when it converts to heartwood but that last growth ring isn't changing in the winter.   It's dead.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 08:54:43 pm »
I’m not so sure about that Pat. Osage once seasoned has changed some while deader than dead.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:24 pm »
That's polymerization of organic compounds.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 10:12:40 pm »
I think While the annual growth ring is growing, this present years growth, isn't as strong as mature wood that has hardened off over the winter. Like I said, I have no proof but it's what I think from 30+ years of cutting bow wood. Other personal experiences may vary.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 04:28:23 pm »
I had no trouble at all removing the bark green or dried for a couple of months.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:01 pm »
Nothing makes the wood harden like cutting it down and drying it though.  ;)  I  have never noticed any difference in a growth ring at the end of a growing season or the start of a new one, or their integrity in a finished bow.

Offline zoomer

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 09:12:03 am »
Thanks to everyone for input. Very informative and I appreciate it.

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 06:11:51 pm »
I had no trouble at all removing the bark green or dried for a couple of months.

I guess maybe compared to some others birch is generally a bit easier. If you catch it right as the sap comes up and is running hard like on a sunny afternoon, it can be peeled off all in one piece rather easily and give you a sheet of bark to use for other things like a quiver or basket