Author Topic: A Prototype Belt Quiver  (Read 2073 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
A Prototype Belt Quiver
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:36:51 pm »
Just a few pics of an experimental quiver I've been working on.  I should be getting my deer hide bark-tanned back from the tanners in a week or two, and I'm going to make something very much like this, trimmed with fur from a nice badger a friend gave me.  But since I've never built a quiver quite like this before (and never worked with fur), I decided to try out my design on the leg of an old pair of canvas pants.  Glad I did--had a few major screw-ups and start-overs that would have wrecked a nice deer skin.

I want a quiver that has the feathers pointing back, and one that hangs off my belt (shoulder straps are a pain hunting the back country with a pack).  I'm thinking of doing a build-along when I make the real thing, but thought I'd throw this on for the consideration of my stick-and-string brethren.

The whole thing hangs on a really cool iron hook gifted to me by our very own Kevin Halverson.

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline aznboi3644

Re: A Prototype Belt Quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:28 pm »
Looks good. I just don’t like bags and things banging and bouncing on my leg.  I prefer Native American style side quivers

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:33 pm »
Right now, my main quiver is a behind the back side draw type.  Next leather project is a plains style from elk and beaver.  Need to make or trade for some heavy rawhide.  Plan to experiment on some old blue jeans first, though.  I think Jeffp51 had a build along or a thread a while back.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 06:56:09 am »
Looks good. I just don’t like bags and things banging and bouncing on my leg.  I prefer Native American style side quivers

This one hangs a little lower than I like, but I took it out hunting bunnies and it really isn't too bad.  I plan to make the next one to hang a little higher and a little more horizontal.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour