Author Topic: Can someone help with ID .  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Nasr

Re: Can someone help with ID .
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 10:11:51 pm »
Yes I gave it a heat treat I am going to make this one a light bow and see how it react. It feels really springy. It isn’t soft at all it’s a bit denser then ash.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 10:17:56 pm »
Leaves and wood look like sumac. Not a great bow wood. You saw it’s heavy though.  Sumac is not

Offline Nasr

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 10:33:26 pm »
Nope not a bow wood. Literally broke on long string. Ahhh I feel so bad. I was hoping to get some staves now I have none. I guess back to board bows for now.

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 10:54:43 pm »
Looks like a boatload of reflex on a rather short bow, particularly one of unknown quality wood. If I had the chance I would get some more staves to test before considering the wood to be a failure. Maybe start with a lower stress design? I convinced a staghorn sumac pyramid bow to hold together once so I am sure you can prevail!

Offline Nasr

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 11:13:15 pm »
Looks like a boatload of reflex on a rather short bow, particularly one of unknown quality wood. If I had the chance I would get some more staves to test before considering the wood to be a failure. Maybe start with a lower stress design? I convinced a staghorn sumac pyramid bow to hold together once so I am sure you can prevail!

Your right but at the moment I am kind of discouraged. I will try once again with a wider design and longer. But at the moment I am trying to build a bow that I can shoot with on my down time. Unfortunately I don’t have much free time lately and I need to spend it on more promising wood. When time is available I’ll try again or maybe use it as arrow wood and see if it works out. I was hoping to get a bow out of it but at least st it’s a learning experience. Now I got to figure out where I can find a
stave. Money is scarce right now so it might be a board bow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 12:01:37 am »
Looks like what we called "stink tree" or "switch tree" when I was a kid back in Missouri!  Perhaps a sumac?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry