Author Topic: After a disappointing day yesterday  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Nasr

After a disappointing day yesterday
« on: December 15, 2020, 10:20:34 am »
I needed to go to the lumber store for my work (woodworker) and I can across the board of ash that is 8’ long and had some straight grain for six feet on side which I thought I can cut for a rift Sawn backing . And maybe chase a ring for the flat sawn part.so the idea is to use the ash and back some cherry maybe another for red oak. But before I do I wanted to show some pics of the lumber to get some thoughts. I tried to find the straightest piece first then from those pick the heaviest. The picture is of the cut off piece and the actual 6ft one has even better growth rings. Please share  your thoughts as this is gonna be my second ash bow and need some advice. Thanks in advance

Offline Eric Garza

Re: After a disappointing day yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:40:56 am »
I hope it works for you. The ring structure looks to me like it is mostly early wood. Not ideal.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:55:49 am »
This should be a better picture.

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 02:29:46 pm »
the rings and the wood structure is looking ok to me. if you can chase the ring all over the bow you will be fine. ash is strong in tension. i made 10+ backings of different pieces of ash and none of them failed. i'm using them edge grained...so flat, one single ring should even be better. maybe go down a little and chase one of the thicker rings  (-S
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Nasr

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 04:13:21 pm »
I appreciate the help guys I was thinking of using the mid portion as stave and the the sides I will rip down for backings. They seem to have a bunch of straight ash like these. If this works out I’ll be getting more and backing some other bow woods.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 04:25:15 pm »
I see Vs in the grain at the far end of the board in the first photo.  Will that part get cut off?

Offline Nasr

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 04:42:24 pm »
No this is the cutoff I just wanted to show the sides as those are gonna be the backings. The actual piece does not have those v’s. Ian thinking of using this piece for some arrows.