Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 76662 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2020, 05:00:01 am »
Hi guys, apologies for not posting here but with wife and family home at the moment sneaking out to the workshop for a few hours has been tricky, though I was able to sort tbrough and rack my staves (that took a week of shop time) found a few lovely staves I didn't know I had, I'll post photos soon.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2020, 06:05:06 am »
Well I haven't managed to have any shop time until this past weekend.  Before the weekend I had worked 20 days in a row.  A walk in the woods and some shop time was really welcomed over the weekend.

I think I finally focused on a stave for the trade.  I roughed out a hhb stave.  There are 2 knots in this stave in one limb but they are dead center.  I got it floor tillered so it is ready to continue on with the tillering process.

Offline M2A

« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:04 am »
Gave the maple piece I been working on a good heat treatment on the caul over the weekend. Almost 40 min each limb. 2nd limb still clamped to caul. Will remove when I get home tonight. Slight adjustment made to tips, or so I hope :) Being on "light duty" for the next 2 weeks or so this bow will need to sit until then. With any luck the next pic will be an in hand shot a few inches short of f/d. Until then, I'll get some work done on my plan b and maybe get a few more roughed out.
Mike
IMG_3510 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2020, 08:53:18 am »

Both of the bows I have been working on (sister staves) were finished yesterday.  Now, the only thing left to do is add the leather handle.  I used walnut colored stain to darken the heavier, wider one since it is much more likely to be a hunting bow someday.  I left the narrower one natural.  Both have four or five coats of tru oil.  I'll have to get the weights exactly soon.  The heavier one feels like low 50s and the lighter one feels like high 40s for draw weight at 27".  The darker one is 66" and the lighter one is 64".

Matt

Offline sleek

« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2020, 02:07:05 pm »
Patrick, I've never tried the wet foil thing.

Sleek, if you took a few inches off one side you would have a perfect deflex/reflex profile.

That's what I'm going for. I just am uncertain of how close to the handle the reflex is.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2020, 02:28:02 pm »
I would imagine proper tiller, will look like a horrible tiller. Essentially looking like it’s bending 80% in the fades, flat midlimb, then bending normal again the outer half.
If that makes sense.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2020, 02:42:43 pm »
I would imagine proper tiller, will look like a horrible tiller. Essentially looking like it’s bending 80% in the fades, flat midlimb, then bending normal again the outer half.
If that makes sense.

Kyle

Oi, this is gonna be a headache I dont have time for them, gonna go find plan D.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »
Made some good progress on my maple/maple/osage tri-lam static recurve. It took me several weeks to get everything formed and glued together. This is  the toughest laminate bow design I have built to date.  Im not sure if this bow will end up nice enough to be my trade bow, but it is a good candidate so far. We will see how it ends up when it is tillered out.
[/url]Untitled

Offline sleek

« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2020, 07:23:47 pm »
Made some good progress on my maple/maple/osage tri-lam static recurve. It took me several weeks to get everything formed and glued together. This is  the toughest laminate bow design I have built to date.  Im not sure if this bow will end up nice enough to be my trade bow, but it is a good candidate so far. We will see how it ends up when it is tillered out.
[/url]Untitled

Outstanding glue lines! How did you get the curves to line up so well on the laminations?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2020, 07:24:36 pm »
did you glue up then bend?? might work with some glues.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2020, 10:11:24 pm »
Great glue up and hooks. I look forward to seeing it bend.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2020, 11:08:54 pm »
Patrick, I've never tried the wet foil thing.

Sleek, if you took a few inches off one side you would have a perfect deflex/reflex profile.

I've done it a few times, but mostly when I am trying to move a handle section. Or a stubborn tip.

I was thinking the same thing about the r/d.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2020, 09:08:54 am »
Yew is complete.

59” OAL
42#@28
Bendy handle
Water buffalo tip overlays
 minimalist leather grip
D97 string

Sourced by a friend in the mountains near Salem, Oregon and seasoned 4 years.

Interesting build in that the tips curve in opposite directions. While shooting the bow before finishing I noticed it shot better “upside down” vs what I expected. When I flipped it over it became the most accurate shooting bow I’ve ever built.  My son is drawing it upside down in the pic I realize now. Very satisfying result.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2YdgOOs

Offline bushboy

« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2020, 09:29:22 am »
Nice work fellows!! Im still on the fence what design to build?I could go for my standard molly/lever style or something outside my comfort zone...im isolated with not much wood for screw ups so not quite sure.thoughts?0
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2020, 09:35:01 am »
IMHO, your mollies are top notch i feel! i would love to get a molly from you!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.