Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 76705 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2020, 11:07:17 am »
I am sure anyone in this trade would be very happy to get one of those bushy lever bows.  You can't go wrong building what you are good at!

Offline sleek

« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2020, 07:16:00 pm »
Nice work fellows!! Im still on the fence what design to build?I could go for my standard molly/lever style or something outside my comfort zone...im isolated with not much wood for screw ups so not quite sure.thoughts?0

Well, in your case, id certainly go on the side of, especially if you are good at it!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2020, 08:29:48 pm »
Yew is complete.

59” OAL
42#@28
Bendy handle
Water buffalo tip overlays
 minimalist leather grip
D97 string

Sourced by a friend in the mountains near Salem, Oregon and seasoned 4 years.

Interesting build in that the tips curve in opposite directions. While shooting the bow before finishing I noticed it shot better “upside down” vs what I expected. When I flipped it over it became the most accurate shooting bow I’ve ever built.  My son is drawing it upside down in the pic I realize now. Very satisfying result.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2YdgOOs

There is a significant stiff section in the upper limb. I know it's a D bow but it looks like the only thing that is bending OK is the upper fade area. Pretty much a little inner limb to top is stiff.
That's why it shoots better flipped over, but when it's flipped it will put a lot more strain on the "fade" area.
I've had yew blow into a thousand pieces like that. And I wasn't even drawing it as far as you are.
Post an unbraced profile picture, right after it's unstrung.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2020, 09:05:18 am »
Agreed. It shoots better because it has positive tiller (unintended) after I flipped it.  It really hasn’t taken set. It’s stable at this point, but typical of my attempts with Yew.  About an inch after shooting 50 shots then after a few minutes it looks like the pic.

Offline sleek

« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2020, 05:31:05 pm »
I went on and finished the one bow I started, just cause it was so close. It came in to narrow because of all the checks in it. 1 1/8 inches. I got it down to 35#@24. A fun target bow, or kids bow, but that's it. I do have a few others I'm working on.

Offline M2A

« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2020, 06:23:09 am »
Limbs heat treated on my maple piece. Figured its a good of time as any to add overlays. Had lots of ideas but had a small piece from fence post cut more than 80 years ago and spent many of those years in service keeping cattle in. Going to call it locust only because that is the proper local term but cant say for sure. Very dark for any locust I have seen but never worked stuff this old. Have a piece thinned down for a strike plate inlay, but gonna see how things go before I put time into that. Pieces are kinda bulky now but will work them down some this weekend and be ready to continue tillering come next weekend.
Mike
IMG_3514 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3515 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr   

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2020, 07:44:43 am »
Made some good progress on my maple/maple/osage tri-lam static recurve. It took me several weeks to get everything formed and glued together. This is  the toughest laminate bow design I have built to date.  Im not sure if this bow will end up nice enough to be my trade bow, but it is a good candidate so far. We will see how it ends up when it is tillered out.
[/url]Untitled

Outstanding glue lines! How did you get the curves to line up so well on the laminations?
I boiled and bent each lamination separately before glueing them all together. It was tough and the glue lines arent perfect but it is absolutely functional.

This is the best side, the other side has a slight gap that I will have to overcome.
[/url]Untitled

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »
I made a string alignment correction and also induced some back set while heat treating today on my plan A (HHB).  In a few days I will work on tillering some more.  I had both limbs bending evenly before the heat session (although both limbs needed more bend in the outer 3rd).  I am hoping for some uneventful tillering.

Offline sleek

« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2020, 05:26:29 pm »
I'm on plan C2, which means I gave up on C then went back after plan D, and A2 didn't work out. Got another ring chased and roughing it out now.

Offline sleek

« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2020, 05:32:20 pm »
Here it is roughed out

Offline sleek

« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2020, 05:38:57 pm »
Here it is side profile, got it floor bending now. This bow will be done without any heat correction, i like to occasionally make them with all their character left in place. This one should be neat. I abandoned it earlier due to deep checks, but I was able to clean them out by going down a few more rings. I was surprised to see they weren't as deep as I had thought.

Here it is with my tools of choice.

Offline sleek

« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2020, 05:51:52 pm »
Made some good progress on my maple/maple/osage tri-lam static recurve. It took me several weeks to get everything formed and glued together. This is  the toughest laminate bow design I have built to date.  Im not sure if this bow will end up nice enough to be my trade bow, but it is a good candidate so far. We will see how it ends up when it is tillered out.
[/url]Untitled

Outstanding glue lines! How did you get the curves to line up so well on the laminations?
I boiled and bent each lamination separately before glueing them all together. It was tough and the glue lines arent perfect but it is absolutely functional.

This is the best side, the other side has a slight gap that I will have to overcome.
[/url]Untitled

Not going to lie, thats impressive.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2020, 08:47:16 am »
Mr. Sniper I think that bow is going to be a fast one. Nice

Offline sleek

« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2020, 03:49:36 pm »
Whelp, I think plan B2 will work out well. Here it is final front profile all dialed in, and working on floor tiller now.

Offline sleek

« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2020, 04:06:40 pm »
 Whelp, first brace ain't bad. A little whippy, but I will bring that around.