Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 78548 times)

Offline M2A

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2020, 08:32:51 pm »
That's too bad SS. That bow was looking nice.

What type of material did you build that handle up with Bubba? It sure give that bow some nice character.

You got some real character in that piece Kyle.

So......Got everything just how I wanted it and began to shoot on Saturday. About 50 shots in I heard a hart sinking tick. Stopped in my tracks inspected things saw nothing. Checked the bow with the soft part of velcro from my glove, thinking it would catch anything that lifted...Nothing, so carefully began to shoot again inspecting every 5 shots. Everything being well I chalked it up to the string must have adjusted in the nock. After 30 shots today I found a crack on the back 10" from the upper nock. It was a small raised area in the grain about .25" wide, dead center in the limb. Things were going just too darn good. Even if I could fix it I could never let anyone else shoot it. So, off to Plan B. >:(

I have 2 pieces of locust that I showed early on. 1 is roughed out, almost ready for a string and the other is only a stave with a ring chased, but I think I should go down 1 more ring. Going to start on these tomorrow and try to see what I can get out of them. I have more experience with BL than anything else. Hope to go more of an eastern woodland style with these, hope thats ok with everyone.  Will get some pics up when I figure out a direction. Thanks.
Mike
IMG_3550 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr       

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2020, 08:51:53 pm »
I dont mind what anybody makes for me. I like bows aplenty! That handle of mine consists of 17 layers of maple, white oak, red oak, birch, walnut, and paduak burl wood. Topped off with gemsbok horn. I also used gemsbok for the overlays
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 05:15:46 pm by Bubbabowyer »

Offline M2A

« Reply #257 on: May 07, 2020, 06:41:29 am »
On the plan B. This is black locust. Same piece of locust that was in some pics back in March. Got the piece bending pretty good now. Need to try and straighten things up now, so thats what i'll be working on. Will give it a heat treatment and hope to match up the limbs with some mild reflex. ITs 1.5" in the middle 24" and narrows to 1" at the tips atm. Going to see how straight I can get it before narrowing up anymore. Looking for a finished width of 1.25-1 3/8 in the middle with nocks 5/8-3/4 wide, 62"ntn.

IMG_3553 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3554 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2020, 08:53:40 pm »
Plan A is coming along.  It is still a few pounds heavy but I still have to shoot it in and give it a final sanding.  It is HHB and is just under 66 inches long.  I still need to reduce the tips some too.  I am very pleased with how it throws arrows. 

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2020, 09:04:51 pm »
Here is plan B.  It is black locust and I have been chasing the tiller on this one.  This was a stave with some twists and bumps.  I have the limbs evened out after a heating session so I can hopefully get this bow tillered out now.  i think that this one will come in under weight though because I don't have a lot of meat left on this one.

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2020, 06:30:34 am »
Dang nice tiller swampman! I love those unstrung profiles too

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2020, 12:56:35 pm »
hard to believe this ol bow swap is till kickin here and over on TG. awesome stuff! I've been MIA for a minute but I got to missing breaking good bow wood and all the ol timers around this place.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Mafort

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2020, 08:04:49 pm »
Got plan A done. Heat treated sinew backed Hackberry pyramid style bow. The stave was 58” long so sinew backing was a must. I gotta say hackberry becomes a different beast when it’s been heat treated. Plan B is a yew wood longbow. Either flat or in an elb style.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2020, 08:19:29 am »
Effort A produced a nice shooting yew but a little light at 42#. Effort B is a sinew Osage still curing but its a target weight bow too. Now I’m working on a white ash stave with a yew handle overlay. This stave’s sister produced a nice bow last year so I think I can better that result on this one and ash has to be my favorite to work.

https://imgur.com/a/iJMK74u

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #264 on: May 11, 2020, 11:23:41 pm »
well first bow is dead, tried stringing it too soon. onto number two  (--)

number two has a little branch that would look cool if i can figure out how incorporate it into the finished bow.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2020, 06:56:12 am »
Splash two -  bummer.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2020, 12:17:23 pm »
still working on one. online school is killing me. waiting for a stave to come just in case.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2020, 06:00:45 pm »

I finished both of the bows I was working on for the trade.  Still not entirely sure which will be sent out.  They're both good shooters, but one is narrow and smooth, and the other is wide, reflexed, and fast.  Sister staves that turned out very differently.  I chose not to put a leather wrap on the narrow one because I liked how the handle looks and it would have been largely covered.  The narrow one is 65" and 50@27.  The wide one is 67" and 54@27.  I added a walnut dye to the wider one since its more likely to be a hunting bow someday.

Matt

Offline sleek

« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2020, 08:44:37 pm »
Those are both good looking bows! Honestly,naked handles are sexy.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2020, 11:02:31 pm »
 I'm seeing some beautiful bows on here and a bit of heartbreak. I will update mine soon. I have a plan a bow stave i posted earlier, but I'm thinking my slightly longer B bow may be a better option for who it is going to.