Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 78555 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #390 on: August 28, 2020, 05:40:29 pm »
Rawhide came in today.  I should get this glued on and finish tillering this maple beast after the weekend.  Then onto shooting it in and finish the handle.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #391 on: August 31, 2020, 09:49:49 am »
I’ve got a nice ash bow shooting and in the finishing stages. Should be done late this then I’ll post pics. Looking good everybody.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #392 on: August 31, 2020, 11:58:45 am »
Waiting a couple days for the rawhide to fully dry and I should be nearing the home stretch.  Final tillering with sand paper and finish work.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:14 pm »
well. i think i know exactly why my bow took that much set.... it was because of the reflex... completely forgot about it when i was bending it and i made the bow look like it should bend if it was flat. then when it was flat from set it was already too late... well this next stave has deflex and one tip is basically reflexed. there is NO way i am going to let myself mess up on this bow if it can be helped. not saying im going to scrutinize myself... but im going to put the time in, the paitence, and i will go so slow that the bow will get bored and tiller itself for me  (lol)

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #394 on: September 06, 2020, 08:04:40 pm »
The red bud that I was working in isn't going to make weight so it's on to B. Bamboo backed purple heart.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2020, 09:33:17 pm »
I'm still working on bows despite having a couple good options for the bow swap already done.  I have been using the same (underpowered) bandsaw since I was 16.  Its honestly done a very serviceable job for 25 years, but it was time for something more powerful....so I bought a Laguna 14BX last week.  I was also able to find a really nice 5/4 x 10 x 66 osage board at a local lumber seller recently so I used the new saw to make five staves out of it.  I also made eight backing slats out of two hickory 1 x 2 x 72 boards I got.  I am hoping to make a matched set of five bows from these osage and hickory pieces as a celebration of finally having a saw that is truly capable.

Matt

Offline M2A

« Reply #396 on: September 08, 2020, 08:12:03 pm »
Hope that saw serves you well Flntknp17. That's awesome . Looked at model myself a few months ago I just dont have the room in my shop for one yet so going to keep on with the hand tools for now.

As always, I wanted to be further along faster but things been moving in the right direction. I finished shooting in the stiff handled locust in pic below. The knot near the arrow pass seemed a little punky so I dig that out and filled with super glue and rock powder then ran 350+ shot through it make sure everything would hold up. Did some scraping on the top limb along the way and think it shoots real well now. Unless I can beat it I think I'll be sending this one. Going polish the horn overlays and finish with True oil, leave the handle bare to show off the grain there, its a bit of a unique handle because of the knot. While I put the finish on this one I'll continue with an osage piece I bin working on for some time.I almost have that one to F/D, wanted to post a pic of that one also but it was dark when I got home tonight.  Also have a hickory piece partly heat treated that I hope I can make a shooter out of. But thinking this stiff handle locust will be heading to my guy, I really tried to make this one how I think he would like.  I'll need to put up some more and better pics soon.
Mike
IMG_E3854 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr                 

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2020, 07:07:13 am »
That locust bow sure has some beautiful lines!  Very nice.  That is one wood I haven't had the chance to work despite having a ton of it growing around here.  Well done.

Matt

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #398 on: September 09, 2020, 05:28:15 pm »
Bamboo backed purple heart. with osage riser and maple power lam. Flings an arrow pretty good. Right know it's just under 49#@28"  will loose some of that with finale finish.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2020, 08:31:37 am »
Well I don’t have anyone to take a picture of my full draw yet but it’s pretty well finished tillered out. I don’t know how I’m gonna shoot this thing in.  I can’t even draw it back all the way lol.  I may just have to give it a major work out on the tree and shoot what I can without pulling my back/shoulder out.  Waiting in some skins in the mail and final finish work and it should be ready to go.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2020, 10:57:02 am »
I need to get some more pics of mine up, tiller isn’t completely perfect but I’ve reached the “tillered matchstick” stage with it so I’m calling it done.

I have a couple options already started but if I run out of time I’ll send the first one

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #401 on: September 16, 2020, 06:31:03 am »
 Mike, you are always so balanced brother, excellent work...You have the fire burning inside
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bushboy

« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2020, 11:37:15 am »
Nice work guys!mike that bow looks killer for sure!!! Very nice!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2020, 12:39:29 pm »
I just finished up another possible candidate for the trade.  This one is hickory and bamboo with a padauk handle and zebrawood/padauk limb tips.  It came in about 50@27.  I have since stained it with dye to a medium reddish brown color and have applied the first coat of finish.  It was glued up with 3" of perry reflex and given that its hickory in a humid climate, ended up retaining about a half inch of reflex after 200 or so shots. 

Matt

Offline Kidder

« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2020, 01:58:46 pm »
That’s a beautiful bow Matt!