Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 76494 times)

Offline Bubbabowyer

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Who is in?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2020, 08:05:57 am »
Today's the day! I cant wait to start this. I got some really cool ideas floating around in my head. If I can just fight off the A.D.D. long enough to grasp one of them.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2020, 09:49:15 am »
This stave will be my bow for the trade. I plan on stingray grip and some buffalo overlays. Ive also got a sister stave to this one in case I fail horribly. Lol

Offline bushboy

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2020, 10:13:06 am »
Nice!this is all the seasoned elm I have left....I gonna have to do some cutting this spring.....should be a bow  in there...
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2020, 09:09:21 pm »
Alright, I just closed the sign up and I am working on drawing names.  I probably won't get messages out to all of you until tomorrow. 

Offline Swampman

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2020, 09:03:33 am »
Everyone should now now have a message from me regarding who they are building for.  It is time to get started with the builds!

If any of you have questions or need additional information, please get in touch with me.

Please remember to not ship your bow (or write on it) until I give the go ahead.  Hopefully this will stop any issues at the end of the trade. 

Also, please remember that if things come up that may keep you from completing a build, let me know as soon as you can so other arrangements can be made for your victim.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2020, 09:04:40 am »
One more thing, let's make this a great trade!

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2020, 09:18:43 am »
What's everybody's shooting style? Three under? 2under 1over? Just thought this may have some importance. I personally shoot two under one over

Offline sleek

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2020, 09:24:22 am »
Got my victim. Was excited to find out who it is. Wonder what I can make to mess with his head. LMAO. Anyway, I shoot split finger fyi.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2020, 09:26:18 am »
ooh man this will be a fun one!!  >:D >:D

I shoot split or 3 finger under
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2020, 09:40:48 am »
I was able to get a little time last week so I started on my build.  We have a very high quality specialty hardwood lumber and woodworking store here so I spent an hour sorting through wood to get what I wanted.  Picked two hickory and two hard maple pieces.  I’m going with the maple for my build because I was able to get 5/4 wood, which is a treat since the majority is 3/4.  I’m a board bow guy by preference so I figured I’d do what I do best for this build.  I received five pieces of raw bamboo last week also and thinned and flattened one of them as thin as I could make it before gluing up with 3” of Perry reflex.  I always love how the reflex of these bows increases as I remove wood during the tillering process.  It probably had about 1” of reflex after I took the clamps off, but is now well over 2” after thinning the limbs enough to begin floor tillering.  Bow is planned for maple/boo/padauk.  Good luck to everyone 😃

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2020, 09:45:58 am »
I shoot split finger, 2 under 1 over.

Just remember that knowing how the bow will be drawn makes a difference in the way its tillered and how it shoots if its not drawn correctly.

If you tiller for 3 under and your victim shoots split then it could have a kick upon release but it is safe to shoot.

If you tiller for split finger and your victim shoots 3 under it will kick also and possibly make it unsafe to shoot. By moving your hand down just an inch puts more stress on the bottom limb. It has a similar effect  as over drawing. We all know what happens when you do that.

I tiller my bows with even limbs for split finger. And up to a quarter of an inch positive tiller on the bottom limb for 3 under draw.
Good luck everyone!
My victom is in for a treat, he will be taking a ride on Furry road!
For you new guys, just ask hunterbob.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Swampman

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2020, 09:55:38 am »
I shoot split finger, 2 under and 1 over.

I am going to start with a black walnut stave that I chased a heart wood ring on.  I have a bunch of options past that one.  I plan to build a few bows and see which one fits my guy the best.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2020, 11:00:31 am »
I got a couple staves in mind for my guy I’ll get pics up tonight after I get off work
I shoot split finger most of the time but I’m playing around with a thumb ring I made recently too

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2020, 01:36:40 pm »
I'm comfortable with split finger but been shooting 3 under after watching clay hayes video on gap shooting. Either is fine.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2020, 08:36:23 pm »
Split finger now.  I used to shoot pinch grip for years and got pretty decent. 

Now I prefer 1 over 2 under.

I’m glad my tendon in my arm is finally feeling good enough to get started.  This bow is gonna push my limits and I’m excited to see what turns out.  I have a couple Different bows I want to build and send the best one.