Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 75091 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Who is in?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 06:44:14 pm »
Just posting to get this thread back to the first page so people can see it in case the want to sign up.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 10:41:09 pm »
I don't think I can do it this year, but it is always really fun, and if you are on the fence about whether to join in, I say go for it!!!  The challenge to make your very best work is a great way to get better.

Offline M2A

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 07:55:52 pm »
That's some impressive lumber you guys are bringing to the table. Can't wait to see what you all come up with. I got 3 pieces picked out, 2 locust and in the middle is a sugar maple stave. These staves should make knot free bows. A bit too much sideways bends that may cause some headaches but some real nice rings in the locust I picked out. Hope to start to thin up the limbs to help in any drying that may still be needed, but I'm going to leave them very generic and wide for now so I can get any design out of them. Only worked on sugar maple 1 other time but I think it can make a real snappy bow and you don't see sug maple all that often here. I got an idea for each piece but its too soon to take things much farther and things change....  I got lots to keep me busy until the start.
Mike
     IMG_3399 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline timmyd

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 10:14:12 am »
Dont think I can do it this year. I'm facing a move to georgia and just dont know what all is going to happen so dont want to commit. Hope we do it again next year

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2020, 09:01:38 pm »
I felt a pop in my right forearm middle of last week while I was working on a bow.  Yup I strained something pretty hard because there’s all kinds of knots in here now and I’m having a hard time picking up my coffee cup without real pain.  Looks like I’m set back a week or two on getting started on my trade bow.  I do have another BL stave with less reflex in I may work along side and see which comes out better.

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 04:03:45 am »
I'll have to pick out another stave as well. I was so in love with this one that I couldn't wait and I made it. So now it's for me not someone else lol. Good news is that I have a bunch of wood to shave on. Even a pear branch and an amur honeysuckle! I don't know what I'll do next.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 10:30:48 am »
So let me get this straight.  We just build the best bow we can regardless of draw weight and length and then at the end we ship it.  I really don’t care about getting a bow I am really wanting to put my all in this and send the best I can.  But if the draw weight or length doesn’t match the receiver than what? 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:48 am »
So let me get this straight.  We just build the best bow we can regardless of draw weight and length and then at the end we ship it.  I really don’t care about getting a bow I am really wanting to put my all in this and send the best I can.  But if the draw weight or length doesn’t match the receiver than what? 

no youll get the info for the guy (draw weight, length) and all that.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 10:41:05 am »
So you design and build the best bow you can that matches your guy's specs. Some guys trawl through their guys posts to see what they like, some do the same to see if theres a gap in their guys collection, most just find a real nice stave and build as good a bow as they can

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 02:58:46 pm »
When is the deadline to sign up? I’m hesitant because I haven’t had a lot of time in the shop lately.

Lately, my time has been spent stripping sinew and showing my son how to do it too. My plan is to be able to get twice as much sinew stripped in a given amount of time if my parenting pays off how I want it to.
Eric

Offline Swampman

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 06:41:32 pm »

Shortly after March 1st I wil send you a pm with the person you will be building for. The pm will include that person's name, address and the preferred specs for a bow.  Only you and I will know who you are building for but you post pictures of the bow as you build.  When everyone is done, bows get shipped.  Then people find out who was building for them.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2020, 06:42:21 pm »
When is the deadline to sign up? I’m hesitant because I haven’t had a lot of time in the shop lately.

Lately, my time has been spent stripping sinew and showing my son how to do it too. My plan is to be able to get twice as much sinew stripped in a given amount of time if my parenting pays off how I want it to.

The deadline to sign up is March 1st.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 11:01:48 pm »
Ahh I see now.  I can feel the excitement building.  Well then good thing I have a few different staves to pick from

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:32 am »
Having not participated in the past, I am getting excited about this swap!  I almost always build bamboo backed bows just because it’s what I enjoy and it allows a lot of latitude as far as choosing what pieces of wood to make into a bow.  I got a brand new shipment of raw bamboo on Friday and went and picked out four nice pieces of wood (two hickory and two maple) yesterday so I’m going to get working on it this weekend hopefully. Man I love going to look for wood....it’s like going to the toy store as a kid!

I’m going to build two similar bows together I think.  The swap bow, and one for a good friend that is very active in the compound archery world, but recently expressed quite a bit of interest in finding out why it’s like to hunt with a longbow. 

Matt

Offline Swampman

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 05:00:51 pm »
Having not participated in the past, I am getting excited about this swap!  I almost always build bamboo backed bows just because it’s what I enjoy and it allows a lot of latitude as far as choosing what pieces of wood to make into a bow.  I got a brand new shipment of raw bamboo on Friday and went and picked out four nice pieces of wood (two hickory and two maple) yesterday so I’m going to get working on it this weekend hopefully. Man I love going to look for wood....it’s like going to the toy store as a kid!

I’m going to build two similar bows together I think.  The swap bow, and one for a good friend that is very active in the compound archery world, but recently expressed quite a bit of interest in finding out why it’s like to hunt with a longbow. 

Matt

Sounds like a great plan!  Looking forward to seeing your finished bow.