Author Topic: Making Fir shafts  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Making Fir shafts
« on: February 06, 2020, 10:47:55 pm »
Picked up a couple 2x4 that were processed at our local lumber mill from our forest that neighbors our land and started turning em into arrow shafts. Long process but pretty rewarding. I first used the chop saw and cut out the 2 cleanest looking 30” chunks. Then set the table saw up for 3/8”, ran both chunks through then flipped em on the side and did it again. Then I put my strunk arrow plane jig in the vice and started whittling. I’ve found with the blade peeling paper thickness it works best. Takes 15-20 minutes a shaft with all my continuous tinkering with cut depth and such. And once carved out I chuck em in my drill and wrap a piece of sandpaper around it and let spin. Then I check spine and keep sanding until my spine is met.

I’ll keep updating photos as I finish these. But it feels good using a local resource to build my set up. I’ve used logs I cut but currently don’t have any seasoned hence the 2x4s. Also, it seems I’m a forever seasonal worker and have this time off every year so until spring hunting I’ll be doing most of my projects for the year.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Making Fir shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:22:16 am »
Very nice tracker. It is always rewarding using what is available. Should make some nice shafts.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:57:43 am »
I too enjoy making own ammo.
Good luck with yours!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Woodely

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 12:19:05 pm »
I have made countless Doug fir shafts,  I would rather not make them again as they break to easy and harder to tune, anyway that's my take on DF shafts.  I now use Hemlock I find them to be straighter and more forgiving overall.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 04:32:16 pm »
Yeah I’ve made quite a few but haven’t noticed them breaking more than cedars. I’d like to play with more varieties but using all local stuff is pretty nice. Pine pitch glue from the back yard, sinew from my buddies deer, obsidian heads which aren’t that local but a 10 hour drive isn’t too bad and Turkey fletchings. I made a set of ash shafts with 200 grain heads a few years back and haven’t broke 1, lost 2 shooting at grouse up in trees though haha
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.